Hey all, new MkIII owner!

ATLMkIII

Jan 14, 2010
Marietta, GA
what is up everybody.

I am a new to Supras, I have been a car guy for quite a while. I stumbled across a pair of MkIIIs for sale. I ended up getting both for 750 bucks. They are a little rough, and need a bit of work, but it should be a fun project.

(if anyone has some spare interior parts for a 90 targa, send me a message with what you have, I may need it.)

I will post some pics of the cars soon.

Any idea how much fun it will be to transfer engine, transmission and wiring harness from one car to a shell? How many man hours should something like that take?

JesseH

Nov 12, 2005
Englewood, Ohio, United States
ATLMkIII;1494077 said:
what is up everybody.

I am a new to Supras, I have been a car guy for quite a while. I stumbled across a pair of MkIIIs for sale. I ended up getting both for 750 bucks. They are a little rough, and need a bit of work, but it should be a fun project.

(if anyone has some spare interior parts for a 90 targa, send me a message with what you have, I may need it.)

I will post some pics of the cars soon.

Any idea how much fun it will be to transfer engine, transmission and wiring harness from one car to a shell? How many man hours should something like that take?
welcome! jumping in new to supras and taking on two at once is a task lol.

As far as swapping everyting out, it depends on how mechanically inclined you are, being it's your first time it might take you a bit longer. The last one I pulled with a buddy took us 45 min.

Post pics when you can!

dubsupra209

CENCAL SUPRAS
Mar 6, 2009
Merced, CA
hey welcome....as interior parts go check in the wanted section in the forums basically 86.5-92 supras all interior is interchangeable as far as i know....and that would defiently take you a couple hours depending if you have all the tools and have a little help....good luck with your projects...post some pics of them when you get a chance...

ATLMkIII

Jan 14, 2010
Marietta, GA
yeah, I am fairly mechanically inclined. I now have a 1968 Mustang, a 1993 Mustang SCCA solo car, a 1976 Triumph TR-7 with a Buick 231 V6 swap, a 1978 Triumph TR-7, and a Ford Aspire (it is going to be a BP turbo swap car...maybe.)

I am entirely new to Supras, but I have been a fan for a while.

ATLMkIII

Jan 14, 2010
Marietta, GA
p1494145_1.jpg

p1494145_2.jpg

p1494145_3.jpg

p1494145_4.jpg

p1494145_5.jpg

p1494145_6.jpg

ATLMkIII

Jan 14, 2010
Marietta, GA
The maroon car has a bad engine (supposedly the engine "just quit" without any overheating or loss in oil pressure), but the transmission is good. The Silver car is a rust free targa that used to be a 2JZ car, that still has the limited slip differential. The deal also comes with a recently rebuilt 7M-GE with good compression numbers.

so far the plan is to strip the wiring harness out of the silver car, swap in the rebuilt engine, the manual trans out of the maroon car, as well as all of the connections, wiring etc. I do have alot of the trim, but both dashes are cracked, both center consoles are crap, and there is only one steering wheel that is also cracked...

ATLMkIII

Jan 14, 2010
Marietta, GA
dubsupra209;1494148 said:
not bad for the price....are you planning on building a daily driver or weekend warrior..?

Kind of a mix of the two. Mostly a cool daily that I can take the top out of on sunny days. I will probably autocross it or take it to the track once or twice. we will see. I won't do any wheel to wheel with it, but driving events, or time attack would not be out of the question.

ATLMkIII

Jan 14, 2010
Marietta, GA
Ha, I doubt I could justify even the shipping from Texas for this car...it will be great eventually, but for now, it is going to stay N/A.

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
I'm up in Woodstock and I've got a 1990 Gunmetal turbo I'll be parting out. I can probably help fill in any missing parts you need and since we're only 10-15 miles apart no shipping fees. I'll PM you when I get the part out thread ready to post.

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
dubsupra209;1494094 said:
hey welcome....as interior parts go check in the wanted section in the forums basically 86.5-92 supras all interior is interchangeable as far as i know....

Actually the lower dash panels from 86.5-89 do not fit on a 90-92, due to the fact that it not only mounts on completely different supports, but the steering column has an extra lever on the 86.5-89...

also, 1986.5-1989 center consoles do not fit on 90+ cars because of the airbag computers..

dimmers don't interchange, and neither do clusters..

I found all this out when switching the lower dash panel on my 89 to a newer 90+ style, so I decided not to go with the change..

but otherwise, everything else bolts up with no problems...

ATLMkIII

Jan 14, 2010
Marietta, GA
Thanks for the advice and help. I picked up the 90 today, I am going back for the 87 next weekend. I have already started stripping it for the big swap. It should be an absolute trip to work on. I am as excited as a little kid on Christmas.

I will need a lot of interior pieces, most specifically a dash that is not an absolute piece of crap, an instrument cluster, maybe a carpet set, hatch and hood struts (I know, nobody has good ones), and maybe a few other things. Surprisingly, the door panels seem to be okay.