hesitation and stumble

Xtreme

May 23, 2005
Lebanon, OR
hey, new problems- took my car out for a test run, and under load, it stumbles/hesitates, and sounds like it pops out of the exhaust. the 30 mile drive I took it on didn't help at all, so.........any ideas. No vac leaks to speak of, I thought maybe boost leak, but I didn't see anything noticable, I also thought maybe coolant temp sensor. But what do you guys think?

Also, the idle is kinda erratic, it fluctuates between 400-800 rpms. The consensus indicated a boost leak but could it be anything else

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Apr 1, 2005
United States
hmmm...... this happened to my buddy........ IIRC, I think it was his coil pack... I know we changed it, but I can't remember if that's what actually fixed the problem... with the "popping", I would say temp sensor..... any codes? I think the temp sensor would make it idle funny also.... I know it makes 'em run rich and they backfire a lot. as ussual, I'm just throwing things out.

It's probably safe to disregard the coils.....

Xtreme

May 23, 2005
Lebanon, OR
Ill change the temp sensor-post back later

ok, changed the temp sensor, nothin. It also backfires when I rev it up- just in the driveway, no load on the engine. Could it be timing?

Last edited:

Xtreme

May 23, 2005
Lebanon, OR
ok, i think it's the timing. I cannot get it right. It either is too advanced, or too retarded. It will only run with the cps all the way rotated in one direction or the other. I must be off a tooth, but I cant find the slot. I set base timing per tsrm, cams up and all, crank on 0 deg, put the cps in according to John Lunsfords(Sp) site, still nothing.

Xtreme

May 23, 2005
Lebanon, OR
ok this is seriously pissing me off, worked on it till 11 last night, getting the same results, any advice at all? Any tricks to try, maybe something that will make it easier? C'mon, don't be shy.

Xtreme

May 23, 2005
Lebanon, OR
thanks dylan, I'll call you shortly. this is crazy, I never had this much trouble the last time I changed the gasket. Its completely ridiculous.