Here's a problem for the pro's

SBM713

Apr 24, 2007
Georgia
Hey everybody, I've been away for a while actually got rid of my supra for a 240sx and i have a mustang because dads car is enough hassle for me.. Any way here is the problem and a long story so bear with me please, I need all the help I can get.

My dad let someone put the motor in his car and he messed up the headlight wiring and burnt up the starter.:aigo: So from then on, we had to push it off and pop the clutch to start it. I was on a hill and popped the clutch and the car started and was studdering and blacksmoking and just not running right once you got it to 3000+ rpm it was fine. The coils are all firing it has new plugs and wires, the dumbA** that put the motor in it didnt put the cps cover back on,:3d_frown: everyone locally thinks it jumped time but no one wants to look at it. Now i get to play with the problem child cause my dad refuses to take it back to the guy.:icon_evil

And for the lowdown my dad has over $10,000 in this car and it still doesnt run woth a crap and the only mod is a cold air intake

Any help is great
Thanks

SBM713

Apr 24, 2007
Georgia
yea its a 7mgte and there isnt any cel light thats why Im confused. its like the timing is off

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
My "guess" from the limited info provided is the installer has connected the white/black ground wires that normally connect to the head on the intake side to the 12v+ Post on the starter......

I6Boost

Apr 14, 2010
My Supra
SBM713;1556069 said:
yea its a 7mgte and there isnt any cel light thats why Im confused. its like the timing is off

I noticed you said "there isnt any cel light" and not "no there arent any codes."

The CEL does not have to be on in order for there to be codes, not sure if you knew this
or not but i just figured i would point it out just incase.

SBM713

Apr 24, 2007
Georgia
I'll check the codes when I get home. and Ian what other info do you need? I will supply you with more than enough info that idiot did because you know everything about these cars lol. Anyway ,We got the car back with the oil pressure guage not working, no cps cover, the headlights popping up and on when you start the car and shutting off when you turn them all the way on, the power steering fluid was pouring out of it, the starter would not work so i replaced the starter relay and it still wasnt getting fire to the starter, but however it was running smooth when it was rolled off. Now its just skipping like its running off 4 cylinders, but the coils are all firing it has new plugs and wires i have a timing belt but I thought I would post on here to see what everyone thought

SBM713

Apr 24, 2007
Georgia
and Ian did you get that 6.0 running in your car you were still working on it when I took my vacation away from the site

SBM713

Apr 24, 2007
Georgia
so the starter ground would make it studder and shake??

and Ian you have any vids of the 6.0? I bet thats a beast i want to build a turbo 5.3 truck motor i seen one pushing like 713 horse one time on about 19 psi thats more than enough for me lol and do those 6.0s have the piston slap issues the 5.3 has when its cold?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
SBM713;1558227 said:
so the starter ground would make it studder and shake??

and Ian you have any vids of the 6.0? I bet thats a beast i want to build a turbo 5.3 truck motor i seen one pushing like 713 horse one time on about 19 psi thats more than enough for me lol and do those 6.0s have the piston slap issues the 5.3 has when its cold?

Yep there's a vid posted in the Members rides section, no the 6.0L is a Gen 4 engine so they appear to have fixed the rattly cold engine issues.