help with wiring.

7M-KDL

Seeking high numbers
hopefully this is in the right section. i have a question about the knock sensors on the 7mgte. more specifically, the wiring for them. i am in the middle of a rebuild and planned to re wrap my harness while everything is out. so i got all the tape and tubing off the harness and there are a few places that are spliced together and im not sure if they are from the factory or not.
my question is: what color are the stock wires for the knock sensors? my harness has two brown wires that are in an area that leads me to believe that they are the stock KS wires. however, when i try to follow the wires back to the ECU plug they look like they are spliced together with a smaller brown wire with blue dots on it. any help would be great. ive tried to explain the best i can but if more info is needed just let me know. sorry if it has been covered, i tried searching and tried looking at the wiring diagram in the TSRM. btw the harness is a 88 MT yellow plug. thanks in advance.

suprabones

Sep 12, 2007
Cleveland Ohio
The KS wires at the ECU plugs should be transparent.. You may be looking at the wrong wire set.. There are 2 brown wires running from the AFM -> TPS -> Water temp sensor -> HAC sensor to the ECU.

-Matt.

7M-KDL

Seeking high numbers
Also, the reason I suspect these brown wires is that the harness side(away from the ecu) has them sticking out away from the rest of the bundle under the intake mani. But as I said when I follow the wires I find that they appear to be spliced to a 'brown with blue wire'

Scruggs86.5T

Dec 8, 2007
Slidell, LA
sounds like its your stock wiring still. The brown wire that the clear KS wire goes into is just the shielding, this brown wire is spliced into the brown and blue wire to ground out the shielding. this way there isnt any electrical interference on the small voltages that go to your KS's. Same principal has audio cables, the shielding is just spliced. Sounds exactly the same as mine was....

7M-KDL

Seeking high numbers
Scruggs86.5T;1452621 said:
sounds like its your stock wiring still. The brown wire that the clear KS wire goes into is just the shielding, this brown wire is spliced into the brown and blue wire to ground out the shielding. this way there isnt any electrical interference on the small voltages that go to your KS's. Same principal has audio cables, the shielding is just spliced. Sounds exactly the same as mine was....

awesome. thanks a lot. the splicing has blue tape over it...which after looking all over for wiring threads on here, means its a factory splice? so what did you do? should i just remove the brown/clear wire from the splice and use that same brown with blue wire to ground my new KS shielding?

Scruggs86.5T

Dec 8, 2007
Slidell, LA
yep blue tape is factory. That's what I did, just solder it to the brown and blue, and then soilder or crimp to your ecu and KS pins. Only ground on the one side though.

7M-KDL

Seeking high numbers
Scruggs86.5T;1452633 said:
yep blue tape is factory. That's what I did, just solder it to the brown and blue, and then soilder or crimp to your ecu and KS pins. Only ground on the one side though.

i have the KS's rewired already just havnt connected them to the rest of the harness. i have coax cable i guess...planned on splicing the center to the clear wires on the ecu plug and then pull back some of the "net cable" and twisting it, then splicing to the brown with blue, that way if i have to remove the harness i dont have to worry about disconnecting a separate ground and that way everything is grounded to the same source. if im understanding wha you said, that is the way to do it correct? also, i have another brown with blue wire that is just taped off, any idea about that? did s splice break or was it done this way from the factory also?

edit: also, ive been wondering, why solder instead of just using environmental butt splices?
re-edit: nevermind, i just searched for some and i guess the reason people do not use them often is bc they are retarded expensive...im glad my dad already has a bunch of them :) i guess i will be more careful with them

Scruggs86.5T

Dec 8, 2007
Slidell, LA
you could splice it directly to the other clear wire but it just makes one more connection. every connection you make even if its soldered has some resistance, solder is very minuscule though. The main purpose of the rewire is to change out all of the old KS wiring and to possible upgrade to a larger size wire, obviously not too much bigger though. That way you get a good signal to the ecu. Using butt connectors or crimp-ons creates more resistance or could wiggle loose and then you get to go back in there and do it again.
Not sure about the other brown and blue wire, I couldn't imagine that they would just do that at the factory, if anything it would be an accident. Something may have broken off, not sure without looking at, I would just look around that area of the harness and see if there is any other brown wires in that area that are just open or dead end there, most of the ground wires in the harness are brown, not sure about all of them though.....

7M-KDL

Seeking high numbers
Scruggs86.5T;1452650 said:
you could splice it directly to the other clear wire but it just makes one more connection. every connection you make even if its soldered has some resistance, solder is very minuscule though. The main purpose of the rewire is to change out all of the old KS wiring and to possible upgrade to a larger size wire, obviously not too much bigger though. That way you get a good signal to the ecu. Using butt connectors or crimp-ons creates more resistance or could wiggle loose and then you get to go back in there and do it again.
Not sure about the other brown and blue wire, I couldn't imagine that they would just do that at the factory, if anything it would be an accident. Something may have broken off, not sure without looking at, I would just look around that area of the harness and see if there is any other brown wires in that area that are just open or dead end there, most of the ground wires in the harness are brown, not sure about all of them though.....
alright. hopefully i can figure it out. i know its hard to know what im talking about when you are not looking at the same thing i am. especially without any pictures or anything, and even then, it can be hard to tell exactly what your looking at. anyway, you gave me some useful information. thanks a lot.

edit: also, if i understand the way the particular splices im talking about are used for aircraft wiring and have a hole in the center so that a drop of solder can be put in to make a "perfect" connection. this is what i have been using for all of my wiring in my other cars: http://www.edmo.com/modules/products/xarimages/Large/D-436-37.jpg

7M-KDL

Seeking high numbers
another question,maybe someone still reads this thread.if i get no answers i will post a new thread i guess. my question is, does anyone have an ecu pinout for an 88 motor. i have looked at the online TSRM but it seems to be for an 89NA car and mine is an 88 turbo. i need it so i can try to wire up an SAFC1 unless of course someone can point me to a quick write up on that. thanks in advance.