Help with smoking 1986.5

ColdEye

Aug 29, 2013
San Diego
Hello all, I was given a Mk3 Supra (1986.5). It was in pretty bad condition, specially the cosmetics, but bit by bit I am trying to fix the problems with it. I have changed the Speedo cables, the long and short one(broke on me in the freeway, I was stuck with 20mph I think), changed brake pads, spark plugs, and changed the fluids. But whenever I drive at around 60-70mph and then stop at a red light, white smoke comes out of the side of the car. At first it was just small wisps of smoke but now it is getting more frequent. I Googled about the BHG and I see no milky white stuff or oil mixed in coolant. I also do not see any puddles forming under the car.

Thanks. :)

BryanDyer

Jun 13, 2012
Georgia
ColdEye;1961926 said:
Hello all, I was given a Mk3 Supra (1986.5). It was in pretty bad condition, specially the cosmetics, but bit by bit I am trying to fix the problems with it. I have changed the Speedo cables, the long and short one(broke on me in the freeway, I was stuck with 20mph I think), changed brake pads, spark plugs, and changed the fluids. But whenever I drive at around 60-70mph and then stop at a red light, white smoke comes out of the side of the car. At first it was just small wisps of smoke but now it is getting more frequent. I Googled about the BHG and I see no milky white stuff or oil mixed in coolant. I also do not see any puddles forming under the car.

Thanks. :)

Hmm, are you sure the smoke is white and doesn't have a blueish tint?

ColdEye

Aug 29, 2013
San Diego
Hi, a far as I have observed the smoke comes out only in the front, in the passenger and driver side near the wheels I think. I have not seen it come out of the exhaust pipe ( the only smoke that comes out of it is during cold mornings) and when I open the hood I do not see any smoke, only during braking and stopping.

I am pretty sure it is white. What does the bluish smoke mean? This only showed up after I cleaned and changed the spark plugs. I changed it because one of the hoses that hold coolant I think on top of the spark plug bay somehow lost its clamp and leaked a lot of coolant into the spark plugs. A few days After I cleaned and replaced the bay and the plugs the smoking began.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
you could have a leaking hose in behind the motor that is spraying to that side hitting the exhaust. It may leak only under pressure, but will split eventually if it is a hose. Normally though, it will leave tell-tale signs... look at your exhaust pipe to see if it has residue on it from burning off coolant. (Mind you... you should see a drop in your coolant level)

Head gasket usually smokes out of the tail pipe. And if its at the point its burning coolant, you would see a decent cloud....
Also, a bad head gasket doesn't show up quickly in coolant in the oil or viceversa... get an exhaust gas detector kit for 65.00. Handy to have with our cars. Even on my newly built engine, I check it every month or so just to feel good.. lol.

BryanDyer

Jun 13, 2012
Georgia
ColdEye;1962012 said:
Hi, a far as I have observed the smoke comes out only in the front, in the passenger and driver side near the wheels I think. I have not seen it come out of the exhaust pipe ( the only smoke that comes out of it is during cold mornings) and when I open the hood I do not see any smoke, only during braking and stopping.

I am pretty sure it is white. What does the bluish smoke mean? This only showed up after I cleaned and changed the spark plugs. I changed it because one of the hoses that hold coolant I think on top of the spark plug bay somehow lost its clamp and leaked a lot of coolant into the spark plugs. A few days After I cleaned and replaced the bay and the plugs the smoking began.

Well, did you put a clamp back on the hose? Also, bluish smoke means oil which in your case wouldn't be coming out the passenger side like so put that aside. Id check the hoses for a leak somewhere and also check coolant level to see if you're losing coolant.

ColdEye

Aug 29, 2013
San Diego
Just checked my car yesterday afternoon, a lot of coolant from the reservoir is gone, from the full mark last time I checked it (I think Tuesday), to being half that yesterday. Had a friend drive behind me to see any bluish or black smoke from the exhaust and there was none. Yup I put on a new clamp on it. Here is a picture of the hose that I was talking about, the one with the black circle, though it is a bit of a crappy picture.

BTW what is the stuck calipers? Isn't that in the break? Thanks.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    104.3 KB · Views: 9

BryanDyer

Jun 13, 2012
Georgia
ColdEye;1962341 said:
Just checked my car yesterday afternoon, a lot of coolant from the reservoir is gone, from the full mark last time I checked it (I think Tuesday), to being half that yesterday. Had a friend drive behind me to see any bluish or black smoke from the exhaust and there was none. Yup I put on a new clamp on it. Here is a picture of the hose that I was talking about, the one with the black circle, though it is a bit of a crappy picture.

BTW what is the stuck calipers? Isn't that in the break? Thanks.

What does the smoke smell like? Mechanical smell? Sweet smell? if you're loosing coolant that fast you may wanna do a compression test.