Help with HID Decission!

supraman72

Ballin out of control
Dec 28, 2009
Franklin
OK i am getting HID conversion for my head lights and want to still keep the hi and low feature but would just the low beam hid be better that the hi low choice? or the bixenon as they call it? does anyone have advice for me or know anything much about hid??? any info will help thanks

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
The cheapest option is going to be the chinese bi-xenon HID's that are made for H4 housings.

You'll be disappointed you did it as they are TERRIBLE quality (I'm speaking from experience)

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Those are exactly what I'm talking about, they're cheap chinese crap that will quickly fail.

The best is to do a custom install of OEM projectors or select aftermarket projectors.

supraman72

Ballin out of control
Dec 28, 2009
Franklin
Poodles;1487412 said:
Those are exactly what I'm talking about, they're cheap chinese crap that will quickly fail.

The best is to do a custom install of OEM projectors or select aftermarket projectors.

ok crap then what is a good quality brand of hid light for the h4 conversion? or where should i look cuz all i see is chinese lights like that one

Kota

Jun 26, 2009
michigan
if you get the non projector housings (without the "city light") and the high low hid ~$80 you get decent light, the spread is a little choppy with hotspots but you can see farther than with regular halogens. i just use them because i dont have the time and $$$ to make a custom set up and nothing makes a car more ugly to me than yellow headlights

supraman72

Ballin out of control
Dec 28, 2009
Franklin
Kota;1487422 said:
if you get the non projector housings (without the "city light") and the high low hid ~$80 you get decent light, the spread is a little choppy with hotspots but you can see farther than with regular halogens. i just use them because i dont have the time and $$$ to make a custom set up and nothing makes a car more ugly to me than yellow headlights

Where did you find that set for 80 or so? is it a cheap chinese one like most the others? im short on cash to so i may have to settle with a cheaper set.

Kota

Jun 26, 2009
michigan
ebay, its a cheap chinese set but at least it ships from CA so there isnt a long wait for them. i have had no problems with the lights themselves so far, just those h4 housings

Kota

Jun 26, 2009
michigan
im at just over a year with mine, but that could have to do with them being hit and miss on quality

edit:
i do things the expensive way though, i buy the cheap things when i want them then upgrade when i can

supraman72

Ballin out of control
Dec 28, 2009
Franklin
Poodles;1487736 said:
Same chinese ones I have just different brand. Hope you have better luck...

yeah i will let you know if they last more than a month or two. if not ill probly go to some nice halogens till i can save up for a quality hid kit

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
my car has retrofitted projectors and ballasts from a 06 tsx high beams. ive looked for quality hid kits and it really costs about 800 bux for a quality kit but if you oem retrofit it will cost way less.

Woody1989

Apr 17, 2008
Texas
hvyman;1487747 said:
my car has retrofitted projectors and ballasts from a 06 tsx high beams. ive looked for quality hid kits and it really costs about 800 bux for a quality kit but if you oem retrofit it will cost way less.

Something like these guys offer?

http://www.streetbeatcustoms.com/rectangle.html

Too bad they're so expensive...can it really be that hard to put a projector in a rectangular housing?

Brad

turboguy327

Sep 11, 2009
Rochester ny
A retrofit is your only option when it comes to HID's. FX'R would be the best bet. Amazing spread and amazing colorband at cutoff. I got my old setup for 325 for the bulbs ballasts and projectors. Just gotta hunt for deals. www.theretrofitsource.com is a good place to get the projectors from. I got the bulbs and such from www.ddmtuning.com They are awsome bulbs. They are chinese crap but decent chinese crap. Have been running mine for over a year now and not a problem. I made my own wiring harness and I love it.