Help With General Car Maintenance

aidanair

Cops Love Me
Aug 27, 2007
Marlboro
OK so i have an 87 turbo with 130k miles on it.. i just had a lot of work done cause it was overheating.. new head gasket, timing belt, water pump.. the mechanic broke my fan shroud so a new one of those too.. yea.. my antilock brake light has been on for about 6 years now..never felt like getting it checked out.. but yea it leaks power steering fluid cause i only used dextron III like the book said but now im gonna use this gunk stuff with leak stop cause my mechanic buddy said its the same and is safe for my car plus itl stop the leak.. but anyways i also notice i am leaking brake fluid out of my clutch.... im hoping its not a master cylinder problem.. any thoughts? oh and also there is a strange clicking-like sound that comes from the engine bay when i hit the accelerator.. i originally thought it was the turbo because the harder i hit the gas the louder it would sound.. but now im not so sure... Plus i wanna start work on it.. ya know to make it more of a street threat =].. sucks to have an older brother with a 99 camaro SS with a swapped ls2 putting out 700 horse lol..and now has spray

Last edited:

Freshmaker

Feb 3, 2007
Oconomowoc, Wi
Thats a lot to tackle in one paragraph!

Your brake problem is either a mal-function in your e-brake warning system or you might be low on brake fluid.

I never like using "stop-leak" on any system in the car. I would fix the leak, but thats just me.

Where does the fluid come out of when you hit the clutch? Maybe check the rubber hose between the body and tranny for leaks. I like to check the cheap things first.

The ticking could be your valve train. Thats more than general maintenance though. :p

ImperfectSupra

May 19, 2007
Virginia Beach
under the hood right behind the fuse box area theirs a small hole where two wires come out. its the antilock sensor. the wire was disconnected in 3 of my 4 mk3s. all I did was connect the clip where it had come apart and the light went away. or the sensor itself is dirty with brake dust. I'm almost sure it is the wire clip.

aidanair

Cops Love Me
Aug 27, 2007
Marlboro
Freshmaker said:
Thats a lot to tackle in one paragraph!

Your brake problem is either a mal-function in your e-brake warning system or you might be low on brake fluid.

I never like using "stop-leak" on any system in the car. I would fix the leak, but thats just me.

Where does the fluid come out of when you hit the clutch? Maybe check the rubber hose between the body and tranny for leaks. I like to check the cheap things first.

The ticking could be your valve train. Thats more than general maintenance though. :p

i think it is.. idk yet.. how can i check