help with engine swap stock to turbo

spartacus

Sep 3, 2011
westpoint il
hi im jo and my stock engine took a crap on me im buyin a turbo engine for my car and i need to know if my wire harness has the hookups for a turbo if not, is there a adapter i can splice in the harness, also i need to know if i have to dyno the car to program the ecu im new to this so any help would be great

Another MkIII

Feb 22, 2009
Chicago
spartacus;1822545 said:
hi im jo and my stock engine took a crap on me im buyin a turbo engine for my car and i need to know if my wire harness has the hookups for a turbo if not, is there a adapter i can splice in the harness, also i need to know if i have to dyno the car to program the ecu im new to this so any help would be great
Well I suppose if you could elaborate on what your stock engine was, we could help you further. Turbo or non-turbo, manual or automatic? What year is the car? The more you can provide posts with infomation and grammar, the more we can help you.

Hvyman gave a good summary as far as the harness and ECM, but there are other things that you should watch for as well.
-AM3

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
No, your NA harness will not have the hookups to deal with a 7M-GTE. You will need a 7M-GTE harness.

I'd check if your '89 is early or late. Mine is an early '89, which has more in common with the '87-'88 than with the '90-'92. I pulled the 7M-GE from it, along with the wiring harness and ECU, and swapped in a 1987 7M-GTE with ECU and wiring harness. The ABS connector was different, and there was an issue with the headlights. I believe that these are addressed in the sticky, but in any case, neither is a real problem. I'm told that the electrical is the same for all '89s early or late, so you should be able to do the same thing.

READ! There's a ton of information out there, and if you read up on it first, you're not likely to have a problem or any gotchas when you swap in the motor.