Help with engine noise!!

AbsoluteSpeed

Aug 8, 2007
Edmonton AB
I have no idea what it is and it sounds terrible.

It makes a grinding/ticking noise at 3k rpm and above but not on deceleration.
Still makes the noise under no load conditions just not as loud.
Cant really feel any vibrations wile driving but can still hear it.
And there is blue smoke coming from under the turbo heat shield but I can not see where.

Here take a look because I'm at a loss..

HELP!!

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
wow, stop doing that immediately. you see blue smoke coming out near your turbo and hear a rattling/clicking noise right around the time your turbo spools....what do this tell you to start looking at? i also hear a knocking noise from your engine....could be very loud valve tap but i don't think its loud enough....sounds just like my knocking noise which turned out to be a cam gear gone bad.

AbsoluteSpeed

Aug 8, 2007
Edmonton AB
IwantMKIII;930541 said:
wow, stop doing that immediately. you see blue smoke coming out near your turbo and hear a rattling/clicking noise right around the time your turbo spools....what do this tell you to start looking at? i also hear a knocking noise from your engine....could be very loud valve tap but i don't think its loud enough....sounds just like my knocking noise which turned out to be a cam gear gone bad.

Don't worry I'm not planning on driving it until I can figure out what this is.

I already had to replace the bottom cam gear once so I hope it's not that again.
And the knocking is a bit louder in person but if it was a valve it wouldn't stop on deceleration would it?

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
AbsoluteSpeed;930672 said:
Don't worry I'm not planning on driving it until I can figure out what this is.

I already had to replace the bottom cam gear once so I hope it's not that again.
And the knocking is a bit louder in person but if it was a valve it wouldn't stop on deceleration would it?

no, if that knocking gets louder as you quickly rev the throttle then you need to look into it more...

but again, you need to look even more into that turbo