help with DIY on my 7MGE

MA70R

Mar 12, 2009
canberra
hey

im fairly new to doing any work on engines so i need help understanding what i need to do in order to assure that i dont do anything wrong.

i have a pre 89 MA70 supra with the 7MGE engine.

oil has been leaking into my spark plugs and ive been told that i need to re seal my rocker cover gasket and i dont even know where to start lol.

so basically if i could be guided through everything i need to do step by step and everything i should look out for in order to not damage anything that would be great. also any recommendations on things that will be required would be good. also i need new spark plugs so what would be the best spark plugs for my engine. and if i could have pics even to help me through what bolts need to be undone and what to look out for etc that would make it even easier for me as yea im fairly new to it.

thanks
Jamie

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
Oddly enough it wasn't said: If by re-seal the person/people you've spoken to meant replace the valve cover gaskets then yeah, they probably could use replacing if they're the originals; If they meant "just throw sum sillycone on ther and git r dun!" then no...

sparkplug619

2 Supras, 1 Paycheck =[
Sep 28, 2008
San Diego California
Also, zip lock baggies and a marker are always a good tool to keep your bolts organized. And dont forget to soak all the oil out before replacing the sparkplugs. This was also the first job I've ever done on a supra

Mastapip

Apr 20, 2009
Ft. Worth Tx
If you're talking about Valve cover gaskets, like CRE said, go with Toyota OEM gaskets. I got a set of Felpro gaskets, and they were too large and leaked oil all over the place. Also make sure you replace/reuse the grommets on top of the valve covers.

As for spark plugs, it's my opinion that you can't really go wrong with Platinum or higher. I've had Irridium and Platinum in my car, and I honestly couldn't tell the difference.

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas
Felpro gaskets work fine for me? They like to stretch if you aren't careful, or maybe you got 2jz by mistake(auto parts counter people like to hear 87 and type 97).

Change the stock screws to bolts(you can order the 2jz v.c. bolts), and use a drop of loctite on each one. Mine have been on for at least 3 years, and no leaks.

sparkplug619

2 Supras, 1 Paycheck =[
Sep 28, 2008
San Diego California
Mastapip;1448427 said:
As for spark plugs, it's my opinion that you can't really go wrong with Platinum or higher. I've had Irridium and Platinum in my car, and I honestly couldn't tell the difference.

Platinum is recommended in the tsrm.... Bad news for me, I got a new supra about 2 months ago, Havent had much time to do anything but an oil and filter change, fixed boost leak and change out a faulty bypass valve... finally did the sparkplugs today (BCPR6EGP reccomended for stock engines) and found a little oil on top of sparkplug 2 4 and 5... dammit!

remkye08

Learner
Oct 1, 2009
Round Rock, TX (Austin)
hey bro that happened to me too
oil was coming out from spark number 3 and 4

the problem is the headgasket
try buy a hks one from ebay,

also get arp head bolts and give them 72 ft/lb of torque

what i recommend to you is that you get Ziploc bags and mark everything and put everything in different bags

and if you can get many different tape colors so you can put them in hoses and connections so you won't forget which go with which

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
remkye08;1450070 said:

Not if the plugs are covered in WET oil, on the top or it's on the threads. If fixing your headgasket cleared it up it's only because you had to reseal the valve covers in doing the job.

Funny, I had an argument over this on another forum last week...

MA70R

Mar 12, 2009
canberra
ok its all done now :)

thanks for all the replies guys.

i went with champion platinum tip spark plugs and when i got my old spark plugs out they were so brittle that one snapped lol.

its cleaned out and i sealed the cam covers with silicon.

took it for a spin and it runs and drives better then ever.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
remkye08;1450070 said:

try buy a hks one from ebay,

Oh sweet Moses. :nono:

Blown headgasket = oil is spark plug galley how?

And ARP torque specs are 80 ft-lbs for studs and I believe the bolts are the same.

StillChasing1

Jun 6, 2009
Orlando Florida
It may not be your valve cover gaskets btw. The black cover between the valve covers is held in by a threaded lock which has a tendancy to leak a bit. plumbers thread sealing tape cures this problem. Also a better solution is to take it in to napa and match a oil pan drain plug seal to it and use that.