Help with bass.

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
The 4 speakers in the rear run off of 2 channels. Leave 'em alone. I found that my system sounded better when I just disconnected the rears anyway, so I pulled my upgraded speakers out, and am just running the front stage.

If you dynamat the doors like that, that will do an adequate job of making the doors an enclosure. Get something that makes a good honest 40-50W/channel for those fronts and you'll be happy. (Though that means real wattage, usually labelled as RMS, and with a low THD number. 1% THD is unacceptable. You'd hate it, but that's what amplifiers are rated at. Usually though if you look further into the specifications, you'll see a slightly lower power rating with a more realistic THD (Total Harmonic Distortion, BTW).

The Audison LRx amps that I have are rated for 0.04% THD, and my old Aplines were rated for 0.07% THD in more typical conditions.

Now the Audisons are a bit spendy, but something can be had for a reasonable price with <0.1% THD, and that's a good place to start looking.

For installing an aftermarket deck, I'd never cut the factory wiring harness, nor would I ever recommend someone who would. Some of the best sounding car audio systems on the planet have been done without the need for cutting the factory stereo harness.

For most applications, you buy an adapter harness that has wires on one end, and a plug that plugs into the factory harness at the other. This is what you're looking for. Crutchfield, and a few other retailers will give you the adapter harness for free when you buy the deck from them. They'll also give you a "pocket" to go below the stereo for a single-DIN unit.

pbasil1

Fully built 1JZ project
Jan 30, 2008
Huntsville,AL
ImpulseDrive;922513 said:
^^ makes me wanna go fishing :-D.

Basil the Dynamat thing looks awesome and easy to do. I checked prices and I guess its around 50 bucks for enough for the 2 front doors. You did a great write up and honestly the final version looks awesome and you have talent. Still I'm not the type to want to drill holes or anything into my door and stuff. I'm not TOO much of an audiophile, just getting a better bass quality would be enough for my listening pleasure and the Dynamat , small amp and new HU would probably be all I need since my front 6.5 are arleady upgraded to pioneers.

I have a small amp around the house, a kenwood. (I hope I find it lol) Small to fit under the passenger seat like the stock one but its a little bigger. Is there a way to just remove my factory amp, get some sort of "harness to wires" application so I wouldn't have to cut my stock wiring.

Where I'm getting at is like a harness I can clip onto the existing open one and on the other end have free wires in which I can use to install the kenwood. Does such a thing exist?

In conclusion though from what I gather, the route I'll take is a new HU, Dynamat the panels and put a small amp, nothing drastic under the passenger seat where the factory amp is located. I wouldn't have to get big boxes or have something take up my targa, cargo space in the trunk.

Only trouble for me then would be the wiring of the amp through the factory wires. I will leave the back four speakers stock since finding quality speakers that are a direct fit was almost impossible for me to find.
As stated above, you wont be using the factory wiring if you use an external amp... Sorta.

You would plug the harness up to the bcak of the radio, except the 2 front speakers which would be amped you would cut those wires at the back of the radio, then extend the wires to the amp for the speakers. This is the easiest way to integrate an amp to the speakers without having to run all new wires through the door jams...

The after market radio if its any decent one will have pre amp outputs to go to the amp via RCA signal cables.

Ultimately i would strongly recommend going with a component speaker setup, they have much crisper sound, and have a seperate tweeter that can be mounted anywhere.... Allowing for better sound staging.

Anyways, thats what i would recommend, and about the sound deadening, 20 sq/ft is plenty to do the doors inside and out...

www.edesignaudio.com Great manufacturer, infact one of my most recommended, they are hand built here in the usa, and have some of the best pricing around! For the money they have some of the best sound, and biggest bang for your buck. The have a killer component speaker set for about $135, for you i would recommend going with them and that small 2ch amp you have laying around. It would give stronger bass and crisper highs than the pioneers you have.

Their amps are also amazing for the money too, so if you need a new 2ch amp, get one of theirs... i dont know of any better amps within the same price range...

ImpulseDrive

Apr 23, 2007
Brooklyn
Sorry for the late reply again thank you for the great replies.

Basil those speakers from ED look really sweet, I might have to look into those more deeply. I was going to order the dynamat this week and do the install next week but maybe now I'll hold off for the speakers and pads to do the doors at the same time.

As for the dynamats, I can't seem to find 20 square feet anywhere, and they are heavy in price. I could buy a bulk fatman for around 80 bucks with roller, knife etc. Or is dynamat that much better. Here is a link to the fat man

http://cgi.ebay.com/50-Ft-FatMat-Au...ryZ67760QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The dynamat is like 50 bucks for 12 square feet and I would need two sets making them out to be 100. Heres a link

http://www.hifisoundconnection.com/Shop/Control/Product/fp/vpid/2318764/vpcsid/0/SFV/30046

Ebay has the dynamates cheaper but the shipping comes back up to around to the same price anyway.

What I was thinking of doing since the fatman is bulk that I can maybe double or possibly triple pad the doors for better sound enclosure. Or is that too much? If a single application give the same results as double or triple then it would be better to do single for weight reasons (supra heavy enough as it lol) and if i have the patience after doing the doors I guess I can use the extra for the floors. But I guess is dynamat that much better since it seem more expensive than the fatman?

I could spend 20 bucks more and get exactly enough padding from dynamat or save 20 bucks, get a kit to help install it and have enough application to double pad the doors or even have enough to go and put in my nephews supra.

Edit- I found the 20 square feet at 75 bucks with shipping it will come out to around 100 still, heres the link

http://phimart.net/staticPages/L140...19405 20SQ.FT. High Performance Subwoofer KIT