Help!!! Why Is This Happening???

suprared89

Sep 8, 2005
atlanta, georgia
please help, i have a 91 turbo 7mgte. i have replaced my head gasket once before with metal 1.2mm hks. had head milled and found slight warpage in block. did not send block out because warpage was so minor.. checked with straightedge and feeler gauge as per tsrm... i removed the head again and installed factory head gasket with arp bolts, torqued to 90psi. the problem i have is that the cooling system is getting hydrocarbons in, like bhg. the car will idle fine and not boil over, but if i accelerate hard bubbles over in radiator. i thought maybe air pocket after head gasket replacement so i drove it about 100 miles then rechecked. the upper radiator hose is hard as a rock!!! no coolant leak but the car is definetely overheating internally. what have i missed?? please help!!!

Stretch

Tallest MK3 driver ever!!
Mar 30, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
Did you mill the head at all when you did the first repair? If not, I think that is your problem. And since the block was found to be warped even slightly, that will instantly lessen your chances of a good seal. The old addage "do it right, or do it twice" lives up to its name here.
good luck,
eric

suprared89

Sep 8, 2005
atlanta, georgia
Stretch said:
Did you mill the head at all when you did the first repair? If not, I think that is your problem. And since the block was found to be warped even slightly, that will instantly lessen your chances of a good seal. The old addage "do it right, or do it twice" lives up to its name here.
good luck,
eric

i agree... i'm an idiot!!