Help, what is this noise?

1TuffSupra

Sho' Nuff
Jul 11, 2005
Raleigh, North Carolina, United States
So Im not really sure what this noise is but it is killing me and making me feel as though I should park the car until I get it fixed. The car was running beautifully and then one of the spark plugs fouled out. I figured I havent changed them since I bought the car back in April so Id go ahead and change all of them out. I let the car sit for about a month (time constraints), but with the new plugs in the car ran like a champ. Much smoother overall, only downside is that now I have this crazy loud noise. I didnt touch anything near the belts or pulleys. Closest I got was removing the intercooler piping. It wasnt there before I let the car sit so Im not sure what the heck it is. I checked the play in all the belts and they seem to have equal tension throughout and dont seem loose at all. The video is below, every suggestion would be much appreciated.

[video=youtube;LnKVoriuisg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnKVoriuisg[/video]

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
Remove the belts one at a time and see if it goes away.
Dont run it for more than a min without the water pump hooked up.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
If it's not the belts, it's either the timing belt tensioner pulley or the guide on the lower timing gear fell off (not good as it will quickly eat through the aluminum casing around it). If it's the lower timing gear, replace the gear (buy it from the dealer, it's fairly cheap, plus they improved the design).