Help! USDM 550 inj. swap

afracer

Sep 1, 2007
Abilene, TX
I'm posting this out to all my usual forums because I'm in need of help. My Cressida has a 1JZ swap and I JUST finished doing a single turbo swap and at the same time swapped in a set of fresh USDM 550cc injectors (low impedence) and a Supra/2JZGTE resistor box.

I just started the car up and it's not firing on all cylinders. I have searched all the forums for answers on this in the past with no help or advice from anyone, so I could really use help now to get my car running right. Anyways, it's the injectors, I could only 'hear' two or three of them clicking away at idle, and when I unplugged a couple of them (#1, 2, 3, 4, the others are hard to reach) with the car running there was no change in idle when I pulled off #1 and #3. When I pulled off #2 the idle dropped even more and rougher, so I know that one is firing, and the same story with #4, so I know those two are working, but 1 and 3 and possibly some of the back ones are not firing.

Now, the non-standard thing is I got a Supra 2JZ resistor box...this has 7 wires unlike the usual 7MGTE resistor box that only has 4. So I wired each injector individually to each wire. With the 7M resistor you pair them up 1/4, 2/6, and 3/5. I did not do this, I wired each one individually since I had 6 resistor wires and 1 power wire. So I'm wondering if that's wrong (batch vs sequential?). Should I just use 3 of the wires and batch them together like the 7M resistor wiring? Or is there something else I've done wrong? Nobody replied before to my questions about wiring in a 2JZ resistor box, please help if you can!

This first drawing is how I currently have it wired
p1283665_1.jpg

This is how I'm thinking it might need to be wired, but I'm not sure! Please help me! This is how the 7M resistor box is wired:
p1283665_2.jpg

You might see this posted on some other familiar forums, I need help so I'm soliciting to as many as I think could help.

afracer

Sep 1, 2007
Abilene, TX
86_sports_1jz;1283879 said:

All of those links only talk about a 7M/4 wire resistor, not a 2JZ/7 wire resistor. I actually posted a question about this on Supraforums a couple months ago but nobody replied and I could not for the life of me find anyone else that was running a 2JZ resistor on their 1JZ

86_sports_1jz it seems like you were dealing with a 6 wire resistor pack as well in the link you posted, is this true? How did you wire yours up? Did you just leave 3 wires off the resistor unhooked?

86_sports_1jz

slow 700hp build...
Aug 27, 2006
OK
afracer;1283944 said:
86_sports_1jz it seems like you were dealing with a 6 wire resistor pack as well in the link you posted, is this true? How did you wire yours up? Did you just leave 3 wires off the resistor unhooked?

no sorry, mine is also the 4 wire resistor from the 7m. you should try posting in the 2jz section of supraforums if you haven't, they maybe able to help you cuz they should be more familar with the resistor

86_sports_1jz

slow 700hp build...
Aug 27, 2006
OK
you should try to wire it like in your second picture, as a batch. when i wired mine i took the black wires coming from the ecu and connected them all into one big wire then wired it to the black and orange wire (black/orange wire is the big one) but for you i guess it would be the yellow wire. then i took the black wires coming from the injectors and paired them up 1 and 4, 2 and 6, and 3 and 5 then wired each pair to the red, yellow, and black wires but for you each pair should be wired to a different black wire. i would just use 3 black wires and tape up the other 3 from your 2jz resistor. from what i remember the 2jz injectors when still on the 2jz harness are wired up individually but when using the 550s on the 1jz you have to wire as a batch cuz of the harness but i'm not completely sure just remember reading that sum where, see if that will work

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
You've probably burn out your ECU injector drivers.

Get a 3 channel resistor box, and probably a new ecu (might be able to repair though).

86_sports_1jz

slow 700hp build...
Aug 27, 2006
OK
yep it should be cuz the jdm 440s don't use the resistor pack, the 440s are just like the stock 370s

afracer

Sep 1, 2007
Abilene, TX
Well, I went out and checked, it's only #1 and #3 that are not firing and I cannot figure out why. All the others are firing properly. Here's how I'm trying to narrow it down. The ECU is fine, since it's batch fired if the injector driver was bad it would be #1 and #4 that wouldn't work, or if two drivers were bad it would be #1, 4, 3, and 5 that wouldn't be firing.

I thought maybe the resistor was bad for those two injectors but I get the same voltage/ohm readings from all the injectors, plus I swapped the resistor wires between one working and one non-working injector and the same injectors were not firing. So I thought maybe it was the injectors themselves that were bad...I plugged one of my old 370cc injectors in while the car was running, it didn't do anything on #1 and #3, but when I plugged it into #2 (one of the working ones) it clicked away like it should. I also tried swapping the ECU out with another one and it still did the same thing. So now I'm kinda at a loss, I have no idea what could be the problem. Why I'm getting voltage to the plugs and the right resistance, but the injector still isn't firing, I don't know...that's why I thought it was the ECU/injector driver, but if either driver was bad a) the other ECU would've taken care of it, and b) two other injectors would also not be working. Any ideas? I'm tempted to just go out and buy a 7M resistor and wire it the way everyone else has, but this thing seems to be working just fine so I don't know what I should do. Any ideas?

afracer

Sep 1, 2007
Abilene, TX
I fixed it. Turns out #1 and #3 injectors were stuck. I took them out and tapped on them with a metal hammer and they started working fine. Took the car out for a quick spin after installing the 3 bar MAP sensor and HKS FCON tuned for 550's/264's/3037, and it's pretty amazing. The car seems so much more rev happy, not just at the upper RPMs either, down low it just seems more responsive and better running...much more driveable than it used to be with the exception of it wanting to stall when you stop.

I've still got to plumb the IAC hose back into the mix, O2 sensor, wideband, BOV, and boost controller, and figure out how the wastegate is supposed to get plumbed as well. I just hooked both ports on the wastegate up to a port on the intake manifold and it's going infinite boost on me (30+ for a brief second before I let off). I haven't tried routing the hoses differently yet, I'm not sure what's supposed to go where as far as vaccuum lines go on it.

Man, it starts boosting 5 psi as low as 3500 rpm and full boost is about 3900 rpm. When it hits it is amazing but I couldn't floor it because of the infinite boost problem...not to mention some of the rubber hoses are too close to the downpipe and it was just a quick trip around the block. I'm probably going to have to cut/reweld the downpipe closer to the manifold as well, it sticks back too far against the firewall. Awesome awesome awesome. I can't wait to get everything on and tuned which will be probably in May. 264's should be ready in April, and the tuner comes to Dallas in May.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
You might want to pull those injectors and have them tested. I'd hate to see you torch a piston or two.

86_sports_1jz

slow 700hp build...
Aug 27, 2006
OK
jdub;1285347 said:
You might want to pull those injectors and have them tested. I'd hate to see you torch a piston or two.

i second that, that would be a good idea

afracer;1285248 said:
I fixed it. Turns out #1 and #3 injectors were stuck. I took them out and tapped on them with a metal hammer and they started working fine. Took the car out for a quick spin after installing the 3 bar MAP sensor and HKS FCON tuned for 550's/264's/3037, and it's pretty amazing. The car seems so much more rev happy, not just at the upper RPMs either, down low it just seems more responsive and better running...much more driveable than it used to be with the exception of it wanting to stall when you stop.

I've still got to plumb the IAC hose back into the mix, O2 sensor, wideband, BOV, and boost controller, and figure out how the wastegate is supposed to get plumbed as well. I just hooked both ports on the wastegate up to a port on the intake manifold and it's going infinite boost on me (30+ for a brief second before I let off). I haven't tried routing the hoses differently yet, I'm not sure what's supposed to go where as far as vaccuum lines go on it.

Man, it starts boosting 5 psi as low as 3500 rpm and full boost is about 3900 rpm. When it hits it is amazing but I couldn't floor it because of the infinite boost problem...not to mention some of the rubber hoses are too close to the downpipe and it was just a quick trip around the block. I'm probably going to have to cut/reweld the downpipe closer to the manifold as well, it sticks back too far against the firewall. Awesome awesome awesome. I can't wait to get everything on and tuned which will be probably in May. 264's should be ready in April, and the tuner comes to Dallas in May.

sounds good, what kinda wastegate do you have?

afracer

Sep 1, 2007
Abilene, TX
The injectors just got cleaned/rebuilt/flowed/tested at WitchHunter two weeks ago, they're good. Injectors do that, it's normal. I don't know how many times I've read in Chiltons manuals and FSMs that if an injector isn't happily ticking away to give it a couple small love taps with a hammer.

The wastegate is an HKS Standard 40mm...currently running the 7.5 psi spring but I also have the 15 psi spring for getting it tuned.

86_sports_1jz

slow 700hp build...
Aug 27, 2006
OK
when i had my wastegate vaccum lines routed wrong my car would boost creep like crazy over 20 psi then when i had the vaccum lines routed right it went away and acted normal.

afracer

Sep 1, 2007
Abilene, TX
Yeah I fixed it, only creeps to like 15 psi now, but my alternator crapped out (perfect timing) when I got the car running again. Hopefully this week I will get a chance to re-do the downpipe, weld on the O2 flange, and the dang BC cams will make their way here, although that's not supposed to happen for a couple more weeks I guess. Car runs extremely rich right now.