HELP!----stage 2 or stage 3 clutch?----

mk3supraoz

Aug 2, 2006
So. Cal
i need help deciding what clutch to use a stage 2 (390hp/348 torque) or a stage 3 (480hp/458torque) these are my mods:

stock bottom (tested for compresion)
cooleeze icp
xs intercooler
cooleeze cat back
test pipe
ddp
550cc
lex afm
intake
walbro fuel pump
mhg
arp bolts (tor. to 110lbs)
hks ssq bov
safc 2
greddy bc
turbo timer
12lb. flywheel
1 piece steel driveshaft

im gonna run
9psi in low boost
14 or 16 psi on high boost

thanks a lot
mk3supraoz

NewWestSupras

SoupLvr
Mar 1, 2006
White Rock
I have a stage 3 in mine with roughly the same mods, but I figure it gives more room for hp increase down the road, and it feels like stock engagement to me. Although my NM shifter sure doesn't!

crrider80

Too soon Jr.
Jun 3, 2006
NYC
i have those mods on a brand new stock clutch from toyota. i dont know how long its gonna last.
-steve

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
not long LOL

mine with being nearly stock burnt up a stock clutch with ease...

Action Clutch Stage 3 now, and it's great...

bwest

Drafting, not tailgating
May 18, 2005
HippieTown, CA
stage 2 or 3 clutch by who? they're not all the same...

I have a South Bend full face feramic (can handle 520lbs on paper). Smoother than an act stage 2 I've driven. Slippable like stock - not really. rough chatter box? not even close.

flubyux2

Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
Apr 2, 2005
st. pete, fl
www.myspace.com
whatever you get, make sure its a full face w/ marcel spring. thats what you need to have a smooth, driveable car.

ive felt clutches that are supposed to hold 600tq and they are no big deal at all. and when i get in a car like a stock civic or my rx7, i go to put it in gear and i stomp the pedal to the floor like theres no resistance; with a resounding thud and a shake of the car.

avoid puck-type clutchs and solid hubs if you want a nice-driving car. the pressure plate, just get whatever the stiffest one is they sell. they wont mass produce a pressure plate that is virtually impossible to operate; they only do that if you ask them to, because they can.. at least at SBC.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
I'll have to argue, my Action 6 puck is very well mannered for a 6 puck. No chatter (well, maybe the first 2 times I used it). It is a bit grab happy, but it's managable (stock honda clutches are worse IMHO)

Avoid RPS 3200lb pressure plates. They kill engines.

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
I have a 6 puck 3200 lb pressure plate sprung stage 4 RPS clutch kit....its grabby all the time but i can ease into first/reverse w/o any throttle. It CAN be smooth but you have to be a perfect driver. Also you need a new slave cylander and throw out bearing to have it.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
I think I've decided on a stage 2 in place of a stage 3 myself. I would like to eventually get just above 400hp, but it's not going to be for awhile, as I'll be having to switch turbos, manifolds and DP attatchments, so by that time, the car would be ready for another clutch change anyway. Besides, I'd really like to have a vacation from "6-puck chatter" for at least a little while.

flubyux2

Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
Apr 2, 2005
st. pete, fl
www.myspace.com
Poodles said:
I'll have to argue, my Action 6 puck is very well mannered for a 6 puck. No chatter (well, maybe the first 2 times I used it). It is a bit grab happy, but it's managable (stock honda clutches are worse IMHO)

Avoid RPS 3200lb pressure plates. They kill engines.

even slipping in reverse? i had 3-puck, sprung hubs in my ex's car and my old 91 with pressure plates rated for 600tq from clutchnet. taking off in 1st and reverse at low rpm's yeilded a chatter. im sure slipping at a higher rpm than 1500-1700 would kill the chatter but i dont like doing that. i like using as little rpm as necessary to roll-out.

bwest

Drafting, not tailgating
May 18, 2005
HippieTown, CA
supraguy@aol said:
I think I've decided on a stage 2 in place of a stage 3 myself. I would like to eventually get just above 400hp.

FYI - clutches are rated by flywheel torque, not HP. Make your decisions based on your motor combo's torque output, not just 'I want XXX hp.'

For instance, a TD06 and a gt4082 will both make 400hp on pump gas on a decent engine. The torque output and delivery? way, way different... (compare Aaron's 4082 dyno to Duane's TD06, you'll see what I mean)

I'm not a big fan of clutch jobs, so I like to do it once and do it right.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
no audible chatter like I've heard with other clutches.

When it's cold it does shake a bit, but it goes away once a bit of heat gets into it...

Seriously, ask ANYONE with this clutch and they will agree with me 100%

Element256 has one as well in his R154 swapped MKIV...