HELP!!! smog issues....california

NocturnalKitty

May 22, 2005
Ca/Az
my 87t failed the evap test (visual was fine on evap, but it failed on the machine) and smog today. tech said the filler neck on the tank is a common problem when it comes to the evap, but could be many things. as for the smog it passed w/no problems in the higher speed (25 mph) test but failed in the low speed (15 mph). in the higher speed test my numbers were all w/in means...the hydrocarbons and NOx numbers were a little higher than average listed but were fine. CO % numbers were actually lower than average. its the lower speed numbers that are the issue along w/that damn evap test. i swear damn cali and their smog bs. :3d_frown:

had the b/f take it in b/c he works for benz and the test only station i used last yr gives vehicle manufacture/dealer employees a nice discount and it required a test only smog anyway. he took it during his lunch break...the car was at operating temp when he got there, but he didn't get more than maybe 5-10 mins of actually driving it before he got there (i know its usually better to drive it a little longer) also by the time they got it on the machine it was nearly an hour it had been sitting. how much do u think this might have made a difference in the numbers i got and having failed? though i know it having failed the evap could have something to w/why it failed the smog itself too.

i have a few ideas i was thinking of trying such as plugs (they aren't all the old, but i figured i would pull them out and take a look), plug wires, main cat (was running a test pipe for awhile so the main barely got any use), o2, fuel filter, injector cleaner (i figure its about time for the last 2 anyway), etc. car just had an LOF this past saturday. running 10w 30 mobil 1 synthetic. am i missing anything...any suggestions? my 87t is a federal/canada catalyst so it came stock w/only one cat being the main cat. a stock dp w/the other cat was put on before the prior smog test...this was before it was known the car was a federal and canada catalyst. previous owner had me assuming it was a california car and said the dp was aftermarket even though i kinda doubted it. don't know how much of a difference that might have made in the prior numbers. car passed w/flying colors last time...the only thing the tech questioned was the coil packs b/c he thought the 7mgte didn't come w/it. i schooled him and he passed it. the only code is 51 which is Switch Signal. the check engine light is not popping up for the tech to see. car seems to idle fine most of the time on start up, but does stall out every now and then both when cold and warm. once warmed up car idles a little higher than she should (around 800-950rpm).

smog results are as follows...

----------%CO2-%O2----HC (PPM)-------CO (%)---------NO (PPM)
TEST RPM MEAS MEAS MAX/AVE/MEAS MAX/AVE/MEAS MAX/AVE/MEAS

15MPH 1652 14.7 0.5 106 / 31 / 162 0.70 / 0.10 / 0.35 762 / 237 / 847

25MPH 2739 15.1 0.1 81 / 20 / 34 0.57 / 0.09 / 0.02 701 / 199 / 286

Last edited:

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
If the car sat turned off for an hour, then yes that could have made a difference.

When i took my eclipse to get smogged i let it run the entire time i was waiting, and it passed with some REALLY low numbers, but it was also a rebuilt engine...

NocturnalKitty

May 22, 2005
Ca/Az
i knew it would make a difference...but i didn't think it would have made that much of a difference considering it looked like my numbers were fairly high and i had failed the evap too. no idea how warm/cold the car was when they started...if it was even above the cold line. i wasn't gonna ask my b/f to sit there the entire time w/the car running on his lunch break considering they get pretty busy around that time and that was the only time available to do it. i would have felt bad for him going the entire day w/o eating....not healthy to do that anyway. i told him to go around the corner for lunch while they ran it.

how do i figure out why it failed evap? is it worth it to drive it for say 30 mins and try again? i'm doubting this just b/c it failed evap too. i don't see why it would fail evap just b/c it was sitting for awhile. the smog yes, but not evap. though i am doubtful it would pass smog b/c how high the numbers were. seems like kind of a long shot.

oh and btw...little tid bit of info for anyone in cali about to go through this. u must have at least 1/2 a tank of gas b/c of them doing the evap too and if u don't they charge u extra for the gas they put in.

would be nice if i could find the results from the previous test. i am curious to how much of a difference there was in the results between this time and the prior time.