Help removing turbo knuckle

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Lots of options, very few that aren't destructive. I had the turbo off so it made it much easier.

If you have a torch, you could heat up the elbow around the studs so it expands a bit.

SupraRon

Supramania Contributor
Jan 2, 2008
Canada
Poodles;1889817 said:
If you have a torch, you could heat up the elbow around the studs so it expands a bit.

^ This is what I had to do when I replaced my exhaust system. And then bang on it a lot. Seems that the heat that is generated practically welds the elbow onto the turbo. Good luck.

lxsirprize

Nov 11, 2010
WV
Poodles/Ron, I may as well try the torch. How flammable is dried PB? I cleaned all the residue off I could reach with a shop rag, but I want to ensure I don't set dire to the engine LOL

SupraRon

Supramania Contributor
Jan 2, 2008
Canada
I really can't say how flammable it is. Maybe test it out on a spare piece of metal (not on the car)?! I think it'd be more of a concern if you were spraying while torching. :)

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
hvyman;1889793 said:
Driving without the exhaust right there could start a fire.
Especially considering all that PB that's dripping around...

lxsirprize;1889980 said:
Poodles/Ron, I may as well try the torch. How flammable is dried PB? I cleaned all the residue off I could reach with a shop rag, but I want to ensure I don't set dire to the engine LOL
I don't think PB really dries out very quickly. It has a way of "soaking" into metal. Worst case scenario, as long as you don't have a bunch of it around (sounds like you got most of it?), it should just burn off with the torch.

Alternative suggestion, can you fit a pry bar between the turbo and downpipe and have any leverage? If you could do that, and have someone else give it a whack with the hammer...

lxsirprize

Nov 11, 2010
WV
I got the elbow off!!! Only took a week, 2 cans of PB, a torch, and an air hammer!!! YES!

Now, I have a new HFTE gasket from Suprasport on order, but I was wondering if I only need this or should I use a paper gasket also?

Thanks for everyone's help with this battle!