Help removing turbo knuckle

lxsirprize

Nov 11, 2010
WV
Hey all, any tips getting the turbo knuckle off? I have the entire exhaust removed all the way to the darn knuckle, but after removing the 4 nuts holding in onto the turbo, I cannot get it to budge off. I have a new exhaust kit all ready to put in place!

Any tips would be great!

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
I assume you mean the elbow. It's usually held on by rust seizing the studs in their holes, do some "percusive maintenance" is required.

i.e. break out a hammer and beat on it to break up the rust.

lxsirprize

Nov 11, 2010
WV
Thanks Poodles! Your right, I meant the elbow :p

Will do the hammer thing, just wasn't sure if there was more to it LOL

I'll have to post some pics of the old vs new as this was quite an experience working around the elbow!

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Poodles;1889483 said:
i.e. break out a hammer and beat on it to break up the rust.
Redneck engineering 101, rule #1:
"If it should move and doesn't, use WD40. If it moves and shouldn't, use duct tape."

However, I usually recommend PB Blaster. That shit just WORKS in cases like this. I don't think I sheared even one bolt on the Chevy that I had given a couple coatings of PB. Was a little lazy with some things and sheared those bolts, but PB is a lifesaver.

lxsirprize

Nov 11, 2010
WV
Thanks all. Do you know if autozone carries PB blaster? If so, I'm going to go get some in the morning and spray the h#ll out of it!

Canuckrz

Jan 13, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
I use the toyota penetrating fluid personally, most of the other crap I've tried from auto parts store just doesn't do the same job. I can't remember the exact part number unfortunately, but they will obviously know what you're looking for.

lxsirprize

Nov 11, 2010
WV
Yea, day 2 and this thing isn't budging!!!

Another silly question, but the elbow just "slides on" and is held by these four bolts; right? :p

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
They're studs. The gap between the stud and the holes in the elbow get loaded with 20 years of rust.

PB blaster didn't do crap in this case, I just had to beat the snot out of it with a 5lb sledge...

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
Mine was almost seized to the studs, not the surface. It was a PITA even after I got the surfaces to split apart. I used a dead blow hammer and a vise along with WD40.

lxsirprize

Nov 11, 2010
WV
Wow....I'm about to this point. 5lbs hammer and a bottle of PB blaster = need more patience LOL

Still swinging away so far....

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Poodles;1889702 said:
They're studs. The gap between the stud and the holes in the elbow get loaded with 20 years of rust.

PB blaster didn't do crap in this case, I just had to beat the snot out of it with a 5lb sledge...
Thanks P00, never owned a CT so haven't had this battle!

lxsirprize

Nov 11, 2010
WV
Damn...I swear this thing has turned into one single piece! Im about to take it to a shop and just pay someone else to take it off!

Will it damage anything if I drive without the exhaust and charcoal canister attached? Closest muffler shop is 8 miles away.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Just pound on it and use penetrating oil. It will come off. That's all a shop is going to do.

Driving without the exhaust right there could start a fire.

lxsirprize

Nov 11, 2010
WV
oh! I thought of that briefly.... okay. I guess the hammer and I have a date again tomorrow!

Thanks all for your input on this...this really is tougher than I thought!:cry:

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
Lots of penetrating oil.

If you don't want to pound on it any harder, go buy a 5" bench vise and a triangular file. Put the point of the triangular file so that it's a wedge between the turbo hotside and the elbow. Put it in the bench vise, and use a snipe to crank on the vise handle.

lxsirprize

Nov 11, 2010
WV
Dan, good idea. I will definitely try this tomorrow. Beating that damn elbow is just killing me....the biggest tease is my 3" exhaust system in the garage reflecting its new goodness and mocking me! LOL