Help!!! Oil pump drive shaft seal keeps blowing.

toyo4life

Supramania Contributor
Oct 8, 2006
Manchester NJ
Ok at about miles 77,000 I replaced just about all of the seals on my engine. then at about 81,000 it devoleped a bad leak at the front end. pulling off the timing covers revealed that the oil pump shaft seal had pushed out. this was the seal that came with the toyota gasket set just installed on the car. So I ordered up all four front seals,2 cams, oil pump,and crank seals.
So now it seems that I'm loosing oil from the same place again only after 300 or so miles.
One of my Toyota tech buddies thinks it may be the crankcase pressure pushing out the seal. I'm only running 8-9lbs of boost and my crankcase vent system seems to be functioning properly. I also don't think that I'm gettin blowby because I'm getting good compression.
Has anyone had this type of problem? I'm getting tired of replacing the same part and cleaning the same mess of oil again.

toyo4life

Supramania Contributor
Oct 8, 2006
Manchester NJ
whats the proper way to perform a leak down test? alist of tools needed would be great as I'm going to have to do this myself. my local internals expert isn't going to be available this weekend.

toyo4life

Supramania Contributor
Oct 8, 2006
Manchester NJ
IJ, if your still following this can you confirm that on a properly functioning PCV system when you loosen the oil cap while idling your idle should stumble a bit right? If I disconnect the vaccum line going from the top vent ports to the throttle body it does, but if I remove the oil cap nothing happens.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
T4L: Sounds like something is amiss with the PCV system for sure.

JetJock would be able to give a better diagnoses of this as I've NEVER ran a stock GTE PCV system so wouldn't want to give you bad info.