HELP!!..oil pressure?

apexi287

Jul 24, 2005
Knoxville, TN
i have a really high oil pressure its all the way to the top and i have no clue why..my engine kinda sounds like a truck almost when it idles its not loud at all really it just has that truck sound..it smells like burning rubber in my engine bay or maybe thats burning oil i dunno..anyone and everyone help me out..its one thing after another im thinking after this ill be good to go..i can drive it now and have been i just dont want to fuck anything up so i wanna be safe and figure out whats up and fix it..thanks

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
About the only thing I can think of would be if the relief valve in the pump jammed that might cause it.

The GTE has enough "leaks" that you shouldn't burst the Filter but you need to correct this ASAP before you drive it.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
1st I'd check and make sure you actually have a problem it would be really rare for the valve to jam on an old pump!

If you can borrow a sender try that or if you have a mechanical gauge even better.

Once you confirm it's over pressure then we can move on to the pump.

apexi287

Jul 24, 2005
Knoxville, TN
ok well im just trying to learn at the same time so it would have been nice if you could have maybe explained some of it but its cool..also can being high on oil cause high oil pressure?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
Apexi:I'm more than happy to explain things I just get a bit nervous when a newbie starts playing around with the Oil System on a 7M as it's the lifeblood for our engines and doesn't take too much to kill a motor!

Oil pressure Sender: It's a round canister screwed into a port on the side of the block below the exhaust manifold and has a single wire going to it.

This is the mechanical part of the Gauge as pressure here is what drives the needle on the Dash, They sometimes fail and will give inaccurate readings.
(stock is combination mechanical/Electrical)

Mechanical Gauge: Instead of a Sender it uses a tube and actually has direct oil pressure to the Gauge and are usually quite accurate and could be used to confirm if your Stock gauge is giving a false reading.

No high Oil level shouldn't cause High Pressure.

toms_supra

Supra Lover
Jul 24, 2005
Langley Canada
Hey, i just got a new oil pump for my engine, it costed me $400 Canadian. I got it put in for free since my uncle is a mechanic, but in the shop it can be costly like maybe 300-400 bucks labour to get it put in. Engine has to come out and stuff, its a long intensed job that sucks a lot. Oh yeah make sure you get the Toyota Oil pump and not anything else. good luck man.

ToyoHabu

Jun 25, 2005
Huntsville, Alabama, United States
The Oil pressure reported by the gauge is not responsible for keeping the metal parts separated. A better gauge would be oil flow. Without a semester long course it is difficult to understand fluid dynamics of hydrostatic bearings. Essentially you want enough flow to allow a film to develop. Oil pressure readings is a secondary measure of flow, try to shove too much fluid down a pipe and you will not get more flow just a rise in pressure (fluids generally being incompressible) I believe in the 7M engine minimum pressure is 6 psi ! With typical readings around 30 PSI in normal operation. Too much pressure can indicate bad sensors or blockage somewhere. If you do have high pressure readings this can lead to early demise of your engine. The oil pump can be catavation causing your oil to foam thus starving the bearings of lubrication. BTW most spun bearings are caused by metal fatigue. If you want to learn more try this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluid_bearing#Links