help me stop missing!!

jester1341

topless and blown
Mar 30, 2005
Western Maryland
thia is a very long story so i will shorten it to the most important parts........

i could not start my car, it would turno over fine but not start......fiddled with it, cleaned it up changed the plugs...........found out it was the wires o the CPS.......fixed it and got a new cover and gasket as mine was cracked to hell and back and literally had no gasket!

car starts and purrs at idle, smokes on start from the oil in the spark valley, but soon stops. upon taking it out for a spin to be sure everything is as it should be.......the engine misses........alot :icon_sad:

pulled the plugs and re-gapped from ~45-31.......i thought that fixed it but it still missed, not nearly as bad though. next i check timing, ~13, so i set it to 10 degrees as per the lable on my hood.

that really didn't help at all, infact i think it misses just a tad more than before i changed the timing

of course i want to know what you guys would do next............but a friend said he thought stock gap was 29, should i shoot for 29 or is 31 fine? what gap do you guys have?

john

YoNkErS87t

streetside mechanic
Mar 31, 2005
In the Garage
could possibly be the tps sensor. Did you mess with that at all? Not meaning if you played with it, just if you took it off the Throttle body.

turboa7mgte

HECK YES I DID!!!
Mar 30, 2005
Delavan, WI.
Did you clean the CPS when you took the cover off.. I had to spray electrical cleaner in mine once. oil might have built up in there, out valve covers tend to leak right on that thing.

jester1341

topless and blown
Mar 30, 2005
Western Maryland
i'll try cleaning it, it was pretty dirty in there and since it was the wires that was the initial problem thats a good idea

i got bosch platinum plugs and they came gapped at ~45.....yano 'specific to our cars' :rolleyes: then re-gapped them to 31

as far as i know i didn't even touch the 'TPS sensor'....hehe throttle position sensor sensor??...hehe

john