Help me spend $2500 + more

87Superdupra

May 28, 2006
North Bay Cali
Okay I have an 87T with a Pretty fuckin sweet amount of mods. It currently runs...like shit. I have gotten a diagnostic done and performed a compression test. THIS HAS BEEN MY DREAM CAR FOR 4 YEARS! I have $2500 cash to spend solely on my supra plus steady income. I REALLY WANT TO SEE THIS THING THROUGH TO RUNNING ORDER. READ IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO INPUT ON HOW I SHOULD SPEND MY MONEY. HELP A FELLOW SUPRA OWNER GET BACK ON TRACK.

It is leaking oil from the rear main seal & oil pan gasket, not too much I just always carry a case of oil like a good supra owner:icon_bigg

It also leaks from the gaskets on the turbo return tube so I get black smoke out of exhaust (very rarely.)
It leaks coolant from somewhere around the throttle body causing white smoke out of exhaust (semi rarely).

Shop said they will have to open up throttle body to find out exactly where the leak is.
Shop also said running on 5 cylinders at idle. I pulled the spark plugs and every one is cherry cept for cyl 5 is black as night but has good compression in that cyl 5:wtf:
When I compression tested cylinders: 1-80psi 3-160psi 4-161psi 5-164psi 6-160psi.

Can not compression test Cyl 2 becuase as some of you may have read I installed a set of spark plugs and found out after pulling them that one was slightly bigger, dont ask me why. I tightened it down it sealed the cylinder and fired still:dunno: ( i'm done with that subject plz no comments on that. When I take the head off I will get that plug hole helicoiled)

Others are saying I probably have a burnt valve in cyl 1 which would cause the low compression. Maybe head job or New head.

Still pulled pretty fuckin strong when I drove it bout week and a half ago before Loosing coolant out of some goddamn leak somehwere...fuck. If you are experienced in restoring supras to excellent running order looks is not part of my budget I would appreciate advice.

MODS: Lex AFM/550s, walbro 255, "3 HKS DP, Test Pipe, "3 cat back, Apexi SAFC II(untuned), HKS EVC, Greddy Turbo Timer, Boost gauge, HKS SSQ.
NO KNOCKS OR PINGS AND SHOP SAID THERE WAS 0 POLYCARBONS NO BHG!!!!!!!!!!! CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT? I'VE BOOSTED TO 1 BAR AND THE ONLY THING THAT ISN'T WRONG IS THE GODDAMN HG.

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
Rebuild is definitely in order.
Block machined, put some forgies in there, rebuild the head, new oil pump, MHG, ARP studs

That oughta get you out of most of your money.. lol
If not the rebuild, the replacing of hoses, belts, water pump, timing belt, tensioner, and a gasket kit should top it off.

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
no offence but from the mod parts list and the trouble it sounds like it has, I would say typical ragged on beat to hell Turbo. I would have to agree with '90turbo, a rebuild is gonna be in order.

I dont see you ever getting it running properly without a full rebuild and that should take care of a huge portion of that 2500. Might be able to afford a few upgrades in there when your doing it.

Take care of her, and she will take care of you!

87Superdupra

May 28, 2006
North Bay Cali
so $2500 if I rebuild it myself, or do i do some things at a shop? The advice is great, I've been afraid to spend my money at a shop fixing shit that is costly and not critical to a well running car. Tell me where the fuck to start, Got a TSRM and some tools (will buy more). I'm guessin the head right?

Jaguar_5

It's ALIVE!
Feb 7, 2006
Seattle
Pull the engine
Take everything apart
Take the block, front plate, pistons, rods, crank and head to a machine shop
I'd get the head rebuilt, make sure they can deck it to at least a 50RA for a Cometic MHG or even less for other MHG's, do the same to the block, always take off as little material as necessary, and go to the Tech section and read on the 2 good 7M Building Guides!

JohnRardin

JDM 7MGTE
Apr 4, 2006
Radford, VA
Wht not just get a JDM engine with 40k miles for $1000 and use the rest on upgrades?

87Superdupra said:
so $2500 if I rebuild it myself, or do i do some things at a shop? The advice is great, I've been afraid to spend my money at a shop fixing shit that is costly and not critical to a well running car. Tell me where the fuck to start, Got a TSRM and some tools (will buy more). I'm guessin the head right?

1989MKIII

Jun 28, 2005
Troy, Missouri
www.elite-forums.com
87Superdupra said:
Okay I have an 87T with a Pretty fuckin sweet amount of mods. It currently runs...like shit. I have gotten a diagnostic done and performed a compression test. THIS HAS BEEN MY DREAM CAR FOR 4 YEARS! I have $2500 cash to spend solely on my supra plus steady income. I REALLY WANT TO SEE THIS THING THROUGH TO RUNNING ORDER. READ IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO INPUT ON HOW I SHOULD SPEND MY MONEY. HELP A FELLOW SUPRA OWNER GET BACK ON TRACK.

It is leaking oil from the rear main seal & oil pan gasket, not too much I just always carry a case of oil like a good supra owner:icon_bigg

It also leaks from the gaskets on the turbo return tube so I get black smoke out of exhaust (very rarely.)
It leaks coolant from somewhere around the throttle body causing white smoke out of exhaust (semi rarely).

Shop said they will have to open up throttle body to find out exactly where the leak is.
Shop also said running on 5 cylinders at idle. I pulled the spark plugs and every one is cherry cept for cyl 5 is black as night but has good compression in that cyl 5:wtf:
When I compression tested cylinders: 1-80psi 3-160psi 4-161psi 5-164psi 6-160psi.

Can not compression test Cyl 2 becuase as some of you may have read I installed a set of spark plugs and found out after pulling them that one was slightly bigger, dont ask me why. I tightened it down it sealed the cylinder and fired still:dunno: ( i'm done with that subject plz no comments on that. When I take the head off I will get that plug hole helicoiled)

Others are saying I probably have a burnt valve in cyl 1 which would cause the low compression. Maybe head job or New head.

Still pulled pretty fuckin strong when I drove it bout week and a half ago before Loosing coolant out of some goddamn leak somehwere...fuck. If you are experienced in restoring supras to excellent running order looks is not part of my budget I would appreciate advice.

MODS: Lex AFM/550s, walbro 255, "3 HKS DP, Test Pipe, "3 cat back, Apexi SAFC II(untuned), HKS EVC, Greddy Turbo Timer, Boost gauge, HKS SSQ.
NO KNOCKS OR PINGS AND SHOP SAID THERE WAS 0 POLYCARBONS NO BHG!!!!!!!!!!! CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT? I'VE BOOSTED TO 1 BAR AND THE ONLY THING THAT ISN'T WRONG IS THE GODDAMN HG.

IMO- i would swap out the motor. $899.00 right here for a 1jzgtte + shipping http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TOYO...012QQitemZ220028342304QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW
$300.00=1199.00 that leaves 1301.00 left to play with. you could do alot with that. new turbo, port pollish head,intake, inercooler (u could chose some of these not all of them for that, but with a good income, you cold do alot.) you could have a 500+ HP beast pritty quick..

later justin