Help me put a value on this engine/trans, got a local interested buyer

Matt300ZXT

Jan 1, 2010
Chattanooga, TN
Hey guys, I need your help putting a value on my setup. I've got a rear sump 1JZ from a Supra and R154 from a Supra that a local guy is interested in and I want to put a price on it.

I don't know the extent of the parts he wants with it, such as the Spec light flywheel and clutch, exhaust manifold, turbo, etc so let's just assume it's the motor only (stock intake manifold, power steering pump, pulleys, etc) and the transmission with a brand new Toyota 1JZ bellhousing but no actual shifter, though I do have the shifter housing. Anyways, the motor spins over freely and was running when the guy I bought it from pulled it to sell the car. I have a new crank seal and cam seals in it, and bought all the timing belt/water pump parts, and a full engine gasket set from Driftmotion and all that needs to be done is the timing belt actually put on and the tensioner put on, then it'll be ready to start bolting all the stuff to and install it.

The transmission is clean and like I said has the brand new bellhousing he'd need. Just needs a shifter purchased and then the housing extended if he's putting it in a SC or 240SX or whatever.

I'm kinda guessing I'd take the cheapest price of a JDM rear sump 1JZ and adjusting it a little higher since the maintenance parts have been purchased and installed, assuming he wants the Soarer harness with it...if not, I can adjust the price some and sell the harness separately.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
When I did my swap, I paid 3100.00 for a 1jz clip. It came with everything needed to do a swap basically. I had to adjust and extend a few things but pretty much, everything was there.

Is he buying it as is, or are you giving him some type of warranty since I'm not sure you've ever heard the motor running. You state it was running in the car of someone that you bought it from. Did you see it run? It would be hard to sell something on someone else's word that it was running. Either way, good luck.

I've seen engines and transmissions sell on eBay for about 1700.00

Matt300ZXT

Jan 1, 2010
Chattanooga, TN
I appreciate the responses. Told him I paid $800 for the motor with auto trans, no wiring/ecu, only DM t4 manifold and the intake manifolds, fuel rail, ps pump, etc and had $564.07 in all the DM maintenance parts. He offered me $1200 for it and I told him I'd consider it, because I'd be able to keep the R154 to either get a VVTI motor or just na-t, THEN he told me it'd be the end of the month before he got his tax return, so it was probably wasted math and figuring but thanks anyways guys.