Help me pick an exhaust sys please......

Supra Blues

Virgin Booster
Mar 30, 2005
Supramania
After hours of searching and reading at least one hundred threads and hundreds more posts, I have a couple of finalists.

1. HKS Sport Cat Back $335 from AAP

2. Custom 2.25 inch catback with a magnaflow muffler

Prices are probably the same.

I am not sure if I really like the sound of the HKS Sport.
Go Here and view the video clip. Its an MR2 Spyder, so it will prolly sound a little diff on the Supra. A little too high pitch for me.

The HKS, I think is 3" where the magnaflow muffler inlet is 2.25".

Anyone got sound clips of either of the above?

Crap I am tired from searching bedy bye time :sleep: .....Here and on SF.

CTsupra

Supramania Contributor
i had the hks (stock looking, as it's called) 75mm exhaust on my 89' and... I hated it. I just supported it up with hard plastic zip-ties (to confuse the pigs) and ran open dp. If you want quiet (kind of) and 3" piping go with the maxxautoworks.com custom n-1, or hks dragger. or even the rt system from suprasport. you definately need a three inch piping, though.

ma71supraturbo

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Redding, CA
www.geocities.com
HKS Sport has 60mm piping (~2.4") and should only be used by NA's

CTSupra -- you probably had the HKS Turbo (75mm piping w/ dual tip)

I like the Blitz but it is on "indefinite" backorder. The JIC is my second choice, 3" piping and the standard SS version (with resonator) is usually in stock. The Tanabe Medallion is also very nice.

ma71supraturbo

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Redding, CA
www.geocities.com
CtSupra said:
ma71supraturbo: yes, thank you for the correction in system names. i thought hk$ only made that system in 3" inch, though. guess not... hmph.

the thing still sucks! :D

heh, HKS has a 5 cat-backs for the A70:

HKS Silent Hi-Power (85mm piping, 120mm tip)
HKS Sport (60mm piping, 60mm tip)
HKS Turbo (75mm piping, dual tip)
HKS Turbo (65mm piping)
HKS Super Drager (85mm piping, 120mm tip)

Supra Blues

Virgin Booster
Mar 30, 2005
Supramania
ma71supraturbo said:
HKS Sport has 60mm piping (~2.4") and should only be used by NA's

CTSupra -- you probably had the HKS Turbo (75mm piping w/ dual tip)

I like the Blitz but it is on "indefinite" backorder. The JIC is my second choice, 3" piping and the standard SS version (with resonator) is usually in stock. The Tanabe Medallion is also very nice.

Thanks for clearing that up. My math must have been a little fuzzy last night at 1:30am.

The other exhaust sys you mentioned though are $$. I was looking to spend about 300 to 400 (Need new tires and shocks too).

Yes turbo, basically stock, but the current exhaust is left over from my N/A.

Adjuster

Supramania Contributor
I like the stock look of the HKS 75mm turbo exhaust.

It might be somewhat restrictive, but can't be too bad. (420ish at 18psi on a T4 bolt on turbo.)

It is however very nice and quiet. If you want stealth, the HKS 75mm deal is the best way to go. (Looks factory untill you see the size of the pipes....)

Future mods might include a cutout at the DP, so I can have an open system when I want it, peace and quiet the rest of the time.

B

Blue Flame

i have heard Magnaflow straight throu race mufflers on some 4bangers, very nice sound. not the super annoying ones ppl put on Hondas. i would think it would sound awsome on an I-6.

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
CtSupra said:
ma71supraturbo: yes, thank you for the correction in system names. i thought hk$ only made that system in 3" inch, though. guess not... hmph.

the thing still sucks! :D

You must be joking.

The only thing that sucks is that it's rust-prone.
Stainless Steel would be excellent.
If HKS made the same thing with larger dual tips and it was stainless 90mm piping, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.
I had a HKS 75mm Turbo cat-back and it was great. More aggressive than stock sound, looks like it could be a stock muffler, but it looks very nice. If you like a LOUD car with a rice can that makes you a target, go buy your Blitz unit.

Here are pics of the exhaust on my car:
rearleft.jpg

rearunder.jpg

Supra Blues

Virgin Booster
Mar 30, 2005
Supramania
drunk_medic said:
You must be joking.

The only thing that sucks is that it's rust-prone.
Stainless Steel would be excellent.
If HKS made the same thing with larger dual tips and it was stainless 90mm piping, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.
I had a HKS 75mm Turbo cat-back and it was great. More aggressive than stock sound, looks like it could be a stock muffler, but it looks very nice. If you like a LOUD car with a rice can that makes you a target, go buy your Blitz unit.

Here are pics of the exhaust on my car:
rearleft.jpg

rearunder.jpg

I am confused. What exhaust is on your car? The HKS Sport 60mm?

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
Supra Blues said:
I am confused. What exhaust is on your car? The HKS Sport 60mm?

That is the HKS Turbo 75mm.

The other poster said that he thought that they ONLY came in 3" [75mm] and that either way, "the thing still sucks", as if it didn't matter to them if it was the 60mm or 75mm - it still sucks. I'm just saying that it doesn't suck, and aside from eventual corrosion in salty/humid areas [Florida near the water or places where it snows and they salt the roads], it's a wonderful cat-back.

Supra Blues

Virgin Booster
Mar 30, 2005
Supramania
drunk_medic said:
That is the HKS Turbo 75mm.

The other poster said that he thought that they ONLY came in 3" [75mm] and that either way, "the thing still sucks", as if it didn't matter to them if it was the 60mm or 75mm - it still sucks. I'm just saying that it doesn't suck, and aside from eventual corrosion in salty/humid areas [Florida near the water or places where it snows and they salt the roads], it's a wonderful cat-back.

How does it sound? I REALLY don't want a fart can. I want something that is deep, but quiet at idle. Upon accel and decel, deep but noticable. Something like a race car.

KrZyV3

Apr 1, 2005
I'm pretty sure that whatever exhaust you get, it will sound deep. And also, the cheap Ebay mufflers' glasspacks will wear out quickly, so you might want to stay away from those.

CTsupra

Supramania Contributor
Supra Blues said:
How does it sound? I REALLY don't want a fart can. I want something that is deep, but quiet at idle. Upon accel and decel, deep but noticable. Something like a race car.

i have my reasons why i don't like it, but it is a good exhaust. it's far from loud, though.

it has a nice litle rumble at idle, and gets a little louder while reving. however, at wot, all you hear is pppsssshhhhhh (like the sound of wind) coming out of the exhaust, no loud rumble.

Bigdough666

Picture Me Rollin
Apr 4, 2005
Corpus Christi, TX
Search on SF, there was an exhaust thread similar to this. One guy posted his and it was exacly what you are looking for. It was a custom 3" catback, looks identical to that HKS Turbo, cept its a Magnaflow muffler. 3" inlet, dual 2.5" tips, full stainless. So its just like the HKS, cept no rust issues. I'll try to find it, and post it up here.

EDIT - Found it, here are some pics. The tips do not come with the muffler, Im sure they can be bought for a couple bucks more. Looks very nice.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

p35624_1.jpg

p35624_2.jpg

Last edited: