Help me figure this out....engine runs for a few seconds...(1jz)

empera

Authorized Vendor
Mar 30, 2005
Philly.
posting this for chris (supra1008)

engine turns over and it runs for a few seconds...checked the timing and fuel....im guessing there must be spark if it turns over for a bit?
either way heres a quick video that might help....please let me know if u have any ideas.

thanks.

92TealSupra

Supramania's Parts Man
Sep 2, 2008
Great Lakes State
Did you try giving it throttle a bad IAC will cause it to be a high or low idle and also stall. You might be able to figure out more if you try giving it gas. Could be the ECU since they like to go bad, or the map sensor even.

supra1008

May 2, 2007
Philadelphia
I changed the timing on the cam gears to E-3, I+1. After a couple tries it started up and idled decently. I got a code 31. I believe that is AFM but 1j doesn't have an AFM. so I changed the Map sensor again and still had the same outcome. It won't rev past 3k. Also when I try to rev it quickly it starts to stall but then idles again. If i slowly increase the throttle then it'll just cut out at 3k rpm..*guessing* RPM gauge isn't working yet. Any ideas?

92TealSupra

Supramania's Parts Man
Sep 2, 2008
Great Lakes State
Time to look at the wiring if you want, I can help you make sure all wires are connected where they're suppose to be, maybe something is just not hooked up right, also check ground, and any terminals at the battery. I was able to drive my 1JZ car and when I got under full boost the car would turn off and nothing would work, found out the wires was frayed there.

TPS is all good too?

Freshmaker

Feb 3, 2007
Oconomowoc, Wi
Hey you still there? I ran into the same problem tonight while re-installing my ECU!

The problem was a broken connection in a wire to my ECU. It was on connector "W" either 16 or 9
http://www.clickdesign.co.uk/supradupra/html/1jz_wiring.html

My confusion lies in the fact that the wire itself was purple, but i think i remember it being in the 9 position. Either way this should really narrow it down for you!

Edit: It is pin 9 for sure, I just checked :)

Last edited: