Help me diagnose my car's no-drive problem

Stretch

Tallest MK3 driver ever!!
Mar 30, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
Ok, Let me start by saying I just finished replacing my auto transmission with another known working one, including the working torque converter. I do not have the neutral start safety switch, but I tied the black and white wires of the 3 prong plug together to "jump it" as I have heard it will by-pass the missing switch. Now the problem.
My car turns on all right, and when in park it doesn't roll backwards, but when I put it in drive or any other gear, it starts to roll backwards( the driveway slopes), and it won't go forwards. What could be causing it to not drive? Does the lack of the neutral start switch have something to do with it?(that other connector is not connected from the switch, could it cause this?)

I am very disappointed and worried as I thought installing a working tranny/converter would fix the problem and make it drive, but no.

One other thing to note is that the shifter seems loose; not a solid in place when i select D or L or something. I can feel and hear it clicking from each one, but I don't hear the tranny doing anything really.

I know someone can help me.
eric

Stretch

Mar 30, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
How do I do that? Would that honestly prevent the car from engaging into drive even in L or 2? I ask only because it seems P is fine, as in the car can hold itself on the slope, but any other and it rolls down the driveway. I'm so sad over this :cry: all the work to get this new tranny in and it still won't drive heh.

IJ I know you are one of the best guys that can help me though. If you want to ;)
eric

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
I just put the trans in park then the shifter with the adjuster clevis loose bolt the linkage on and tighten the adjuster down.

But if it's holding in park it sounds close enough to work.

How much Oil is in it?

Stretch

Mar 30, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
When it was cold i filled it to a bit over half way on the cold scale. The thing is, when I had the tranny out of the car I rolled it to open the pan, and not a lot of oil came out, but when I installed it there seemed to read plenty of oil in it. Could my stick be in too far? I added almost 1qt of oil before starting to bring it into the ok range. So if the stick is in too far and giving a faulty reading, meaning that there isn't enough oil, then the tranny won't work? How could it hold in P though?
eric

Stretch

Mar 30, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
Oh ok, I know what that is now. I re-installed it as it was before; luckily the rust showed me where the nut sat before heh.

I have a very very noob question IJ, but I don't have the user manual and my Hayes manual doesn't say it; how much fluid goes in the tranny? I have put 2 qts in so far and I'm not sure, but it looks like it barely reads. Please tell me, I know it's basic but I don't know :1zhelp:.
eric

You need to get as much oil into it as came out. Sounds like the pump filled torque convertor leaving the pan empty.

BernieK

Stretch;1316237 said:
Ok, Let me start by saying I just finished replacing my auto transmission with another known working one, including the working torque converter. I do not have the neutral start safety switch, but I tied the black and white wires of the 3 prong plug together to "jump it" as I have heard it will by-pass the missing switch. Now the problem.
My car turns on all right, and when in park it doesn't roll backwards, but when I put it in drive or any other gear, it starts to roll backwards( the driveway slopes), and it won't go forwards. What could be causing it to not drive? Does the lack of the neutral start switch have something to do with it?(that other connector is not connected from the switch, could it cause this?)

I am very disappointed and worried as I thought installing a working tranny/converter would fix the problem and make it drive, but no.

One other thing to note is that the shifter seems loose; not a solid in place when i select D or L or something. I can feel and hear it clicking from each one, but I don't hear the tranny doing anything really.

I know someone can help me.
eric

Stretch

Mar 30, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
Alright, as usual you gentlemen helped me out very nicely, as I expected nothing less of supramania :). The car is driving forward, but I noticed Reverse still did not seem to work. I haven't finished filling it up as it was getting warm and i only looped the cooler nipples together for now so it isn't passing through the trans cooler and I don't want to over heat it and ruin the tranny. Could reverse just not fully work due to there not being full fluids? Drive works, so I am just confused why reverse won't work is all. It is the last issue for tonight I think.
eric