help! joe's dash stoped working!

pimptrizkit

thread killer
Dec 22, 2005
vancouver Wa
well i'll try to type this with out using profanity, but lets just say im frusterated..

so i install the maft pro on my brother's car, (joec) and got it all wired up and solded all connections i made, pull the afm plug, and installed the iat into the accordian hose, turn the car on, it's reading ait temp and mani pressure, so speed density is workin,

i wired it into the stock o2 sensor since it's wet and i didn't wanna lay on the ground to instal the o2 sesnor into the down pipe,

any ways, car started and ran RICH, o2 is reading .5v and vf is .02 and goes to .80 or so while driving, it flucuated alot but thats what it's suposted to do iirc,

while, after warming the car up and put 3 gallons in, i bring her home and she was running hard and great, besides having a really lopie idle when i first started, she seems to die when i put the clutch in, im assuming since she is so RICH.. ..
any ways, my brother had me install it and put it in his glove box,
when i was finished and about to leave it for the day so he has it when he gets off work.. i closed the glove box and the heater Control unit turned off, fan stoped blowing, and i thought just maybe a connector got pushd apart or a wire might have broke, pulled the dash back apart and seached , all connectors look good, no broken wires i can tell, there was one wire that had been scraped and it was an ground wire (brown) that connected into what was either the knock sensors (more likely) or the o2 sensor..

problem is below..

now get this, besides not having any heater funtions ie dead in water...
the tach , oil pressure and temp gauge DO NOT WORK. the boost gauge never worked..
the car still starts, idles rev's, with both afm and speed density, idle is rough, compair to how she used to purr..

i wired in the yellow wire to g2, for timing monitor, but i didn't clip r7, simply cause i dont know which it is..

and the last thing i noticed be for i walked away, is his turbo timming think's the e-brake is always on, and his clutch saftey switch stoped working at some point today.. ie no clutch to start....

well im gona start checking fuses... the door lights, tem's lighs still work on the dash!

ps, maft pro still reads rpm... and banging on the dash and gauge cluster doesn't help. all of this stuff crapped on my when i closed the glove box.. is there a central plug?

JoeC

Banned
Jul 10, 2006
Vancouver, Washington
^^ You aren't reading right i don't think. He drove the car for 30 minutes and got gas and came back. It worked fine. but when he closed the glove box thats when every thing went out. Car still starts. Pimps at work now and I am going to go and look and see if I can't find any thing noticeable. Would this be a broken ground that caused this?

JoeC

Banned
Jul 10, 2006
Vancouver, Washington
You arent getting it. We installed the Maft Pro in the glove box. He had the glove box open and ran it for 30 minutes and it ran fine. Every thing worked. Got home and closed the glove box (with the maft pro unit inside of it).. and the heater went out aswell as the dash. of course the glove box isnt electrical, but theres electrical things in it, and behind it.

JoeC

Banned
Jul 10, 2006
Vancouver, Washington
Well I just took a look for myself, I found two ground wires that are running to the maft pro that were open so I taped them up. When I turned the ignition on my battery light on the far right lights up aswell as my TEMS. Door Ajar works too.. Nothing else. Checked the fuses under the hood and all of them are good..

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
I would imagine it would be a fuse thats not under the hood for a bunch of interior stuff not working, lol.

Seems like it was just a coincidence that you shut the glove box and it quit on you. Unless you're either lieing or can't find the wiring problem, could also be the slamming around of the MAFT that broke it and in turn shorted out other places.

1988SupraDreams

Mar 10, 2006
San Jose, CA
Kick Panel fuse, I had all the same symptoms last night when my Gauge fuse blew. Its in the top row all the way to the left. 7.5A. Your gauge fuse is out.

pimptrizkit

thread killer
Dec 22, 2005
vancouver Wa
1988SupraDreams said:
Kick Panel fuse, I had all the same symptoms last night when my Gauge fuse blew. Its in the top row all the way to the left. 7.5A. Your gauge fuse is out.

PROPS FOR THIS GUY!

now im jjst curious to why it happened,, when i closed the glove box it was a snug fit, and right when it clicked the heater killed,

any ways, im glad it was an easy fix so far..

loki2043

Jan 23, 2006
Portland, OR
this happened on my last car (daytona). everytime I went over like 55 the fuse would pop. my voltage regulator was shot and had to have a new one wired in. and a bunch of the relays that contolled the headlights (same circuit) were fried. start checking those.. when they r old they get krusty and start drawning more amps to make it over the bridge in the relay. wich pops the fuse

pimptrizkit

thread killer
Dec 22, 2005
vancouver Wa
mkIIIman089 said:
You didn't fix anything, something you did still blew that fuse. Thats what you need to find.

yeah i under stand this, i found why every thing stoped working, but not why the fuse went.

thats why im curious why it blew..

any ways, i'll be fiddlin with it more today..

pimptrizkit

thread killer
Dec 22, 2005
vancouver Wa
no i couldn't find any wires that broke or came undone, but i did find a ground wire that was scruffed, i cut the blac tap back and it looked like a ground for the sheilded knock sensors..

pimptrizkit

thread killer
Dec 22, 2005
vancouver Wa
well this is a bit weird, the afr on the car is going rich, stable, lean, rich stable ,lean.. idle is very erractic. almost die, rev up to 650/800 idle, start dieing idle up, basicly doing what the afr's are doing..

i know i have made proper connections, and im starting to become curious weather the fuel pump is taking a random dive.. just as i got this going..

well im gona investigate more tomorrow...

pimptrizkit

thread killer
Dec 22, 2005
vancouver Wa
catch2nd said:
Just drive with the glove box open, geez
lol, it's out right now, but thats not solving the problem of either a crappoy instualtion or maybe a bad ecu? hah, nah i just haven't figured out why it's running rough yet, hopefully i will sove this before the centrailia meet..