Help!!!! i think i blew a Turbo Seal!!!!(pictures)

Stock Aristo 2JZGTE

So on thursday i ran the car kinda hard nothing out of the ordinary just raced my two friends on the freeway (camaro)(STI) going to get some dinner. Car drove home fin and ran good. The next morning i went to work and it still drove fine but on the way i got a flat tire. SO i waited an hour for a spare to come and i got it changed and i started it up and try to hurry and get back on the freeway and i gunned it and it did not take off. It moved like a freaking turtle. like im on only half power. I Can still build boost and be hitting 9psi but not going anywhere. Also boost does not kick in till about 3500 all at once. Im assuming one of the turbos is not running. or not running properly. Second gear launch at 3500 4000rpm im making like 3 or psi.

Also there is oil around the stock blow off valve and there is oil on the heat shield.

turbo3b.jpg
turbo2u.jpg

turbo1b.jpg

87supraguy

Mar 4, 2010
Tucson, az
turbos don't have seals. maybe a gasket to the oil feed and return line.... maybe you have a return line clogged and oil isn't draining fast enough?

87supraguy

Mar 4, 2010
Tucson, az
only way to tell the condition of the twins is to pull the hard pipes off and take a look inside. if you'r boosting that low, i'm guessing a seized shaft?

87supraguy

Mar 4, 2010
Tucson, az
MDCmotorsports‎.... he's the turbo expert here in the auto tech section under turbochargers. he's the one who mentioned to me that turbos don't have seals. he maybe able to figure out your issue.

Mk3*Supra

Jun 14, 2010
Ohio

enslaved87

Apr 1, 2005
piss off
They do have seals to be technical. They are called Labyrinth seals. In laymans terms - piston rings. On the compressor side of things there are two different styles of sealing methods that are common. These are dynamic seal(labyrinth type) and the less common Carbon seal. A carbon seal is literally a piece of carbon that contains a viton o-ring. This stack-up is spring loaded against the thrust collar.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
enslaved87;1801397 said:
They do have seals to be technical. They are called Labyrinth seals. In laymans terms - piston rings. On the compressor side of things there are two different styles of sealing methods that are common. These are dynamic seal(labyrinth type) and the less common Carbon seal. A carbon seal is literally a piece of carbon that contains a viton o-ring. This stack-up is spring loaded against the thrust collar.
Bzzzzz wrong...

You're confusing terms here, a labyrinth "seal" is just that it's a Maze with High and Low channels that the Oil can't find a path through and returns to the Pan, the Piston Ring Seal on the Turbine is a Mechanical seal so totally different.

enslaved87

Apr 1, 2005
piss off
IJ.;1801412 said:
Bzzzzz wrong...

You're confusing terms here, a labyrinth "seal" is just that it's a Maze with High and Low channels that the Oil can't find a path through and returns to the Pan, the Piston Ring Seal on the Turbine is a Mechanical seal so totally different.

A labyrinth seal is a type of mechanical seal that provides a tortuous path to help prevent leakage. Labyrinth seals are also found on pistons, which use them to store oil and seal against high pressure during compression and power strokes, as well as on other non-rotating shafts. In these applications, it is the long and difficult path and the formation of controlled fluid vortices plus some limited contact-sealing action that creates the seal.

Direct quote from Borg-Warner:
"The centre housing must be sealed against the hot turbine exhaust gas and against oil loss from the centre housing. A piston ring is installed in a groove on the rotor shaft on both the turbine and compressor side. These rings do not rotate, but are firmly clamped in the centre housing. This contactless type of sealing, a form of labyrinth seal, makes oil leakage more difficult due to multiple flow reversals, and ensures that only small quantities of exhaust gas escape into the crankcase."

Don't buzz me again. :kickinthenuts:

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
enslaved87;1801728 said:
A labyrinth seal is a type of mechanical seal that provides a tortuous path to help prevent leakage. Labyrinth seals are also found on pistons, which use them to store oil and seal against high pressure during compression and power strokes, as well as on other non-rotating shafts. In these applications, it is the long and difficult path and the formation of controlled fluid vortices plus some limited contact-sealing action that creates the seal.

Direct quote from Borg-Warner:
"The centre housing must be sealed against the hot turbine exhaust gas and against oil loss from the centre housing. A piston ring is installed in a groove on the rotor shaft on both the turbine and compressor side. These rings do not rotate, but are firmly clamped in the centre housing. This contactless type of sealing, a form of labyrinth seal, makes oil leakage more difficult due to multiple flow reversals, and ensures that only small quantities of exhaust gas escape into the crankcase."

Don't buzz me again. :kickinthenuts:
My understanding has always been the Ring is an entity in itself, reading your quote from BW it's a component of the Labyrinth, all semantics.