Help!! I"m leaking Gasoline.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
first off.

Get kitty litter, non clumping. And use it as an absorbent to pick up the gasoline. Those vapors will ignite with a simple static discharge! Once the gasoline is absorbed. Then you can do more work. How much fuel in the tank?

MK_rider

Nov 17, 2007
wisconsin
figgie;998850 said:
first off.

Get kitty litter, non clumping. And use it as an absorbent to pick up the gasoline. Those vapors will ignite with a simple static discharge! Once the gasoline is absorbed. Then you can do more work. How much fuel in the tank?

A little bit more than half way.

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
GrimJack;998858 said:
To hell with the kitty litter! Put a bottle under there and pour it into a gas can. That stuff is more valuable than gold! ;)

visualizes Mel Gibson collecting dripping fuel in a broken headlight*

to the point, do you mean the big fuel filler pipe? or one of the fuel lines that supply the engine.

MK_rider

Nov 17, 2007
wisconsin
theWeezL;998868 said:
visualizes Mel Gibson collecting dripping fuel in a broken headlight*

to the point, do you mean the big fuel filler pipe? or one of the fuel lines that supply the engine.

The big fuel filler pipe.

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
to my knowledge that pipe is braised/soldered to the tank and that joint can leak if the pipe gets bent or twisted. You have to remove the tank, drain it and repair the leak. Was your car ever hit in that corner?

MK_rider

Nov 17, 2007
wisconsin
theWeezL;998879 said:
to my knowledge that pipe is braised/soldered to the tank and that joint can leak if the pipe gets bent or twisted. You have to remove the tank, drain it and repair the leak. Was your car ever hit in that corner?

My car was never hit in that corner. At least not that i know of. Anyways of how to remove it?

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
Pulling the tank isnt all that hard as long as the tank is empty or close to it.

First you have to pull the inspection cover in the hatch area to get to the wiring. unplug the pump and sender. You have to pull 4 bolts to get the plastic shield off, then pull the soft lines off the front of the tank. You have to also remove the surround and gasket up at the top of the fuel filler door. Then loosen the two nuts on the staps (dont have to completely remove them) and finally pull the pins on the back of ths straps and lower the tank.

ABQMK2

Mar 8, 2007
Keller TX
forums.celicasupra.com
I see u live in sconny land...make sure you use some PB blaster on all the nuts and bolts youre going to remove. If you have a few days before the repair, hit those spots once a day for a few days til you get to it. those wisconsin winters are rough on on everything..i know...i used to live there and every vehicle i owned from that area was totally fubar'd underneath from the salt and rust.
When u get the tank out, inspect it for rust and junk inside...if its bad you can have it boiled/cleaned out.

good luck...go badgers!

MK_rider

Nov 17, 2007
wisconsin
ABQMK2;999045 said:
I see u live in sconny land...make sure you use some PB blaster on all the nuts and bolts youre going to remove. If you have a few days before the repair, hit those spots once a day for a few days til you get to it. those wisconsin winters are rough on on everything..i know...i used to live there and every vehicle i owned from that area was totally fubar'd underneath from the salt and rust.
When u get the tank out, inspect it for rust and junk inside...if its bad you can have it boiled/cleaned out.

good luck...go badgers!

LOL....Thanks for the tip.

Blade2001

Apr 9, 2007
TX
Fuel filler tube is flanged to the tank.. there is a gasket there too... why would this gasket leak liquid fuel, if the tank is half empty?

MK_rider

Nov 17, 2007
wisconsin
Blade2001;999679 said:
Fuel filler tube is flanged to the tank.. there is a gasket there too... why would this gasket leak liquid fuel, if the tank is half empty?

Because i was working on my brakes and i had the car jacked up on the left side. Thats when i started to notice the drippings. But i'll check again if it's still leaking.