Help guys! Valve stem seals....

SupraClaou

Supramania Contributor
Sep 1, 2006
Athens,Greece
Just got some new ferrea valve stem seals but I got all 24 of them in one
small nylon bag...
I heard there are 12 intake and 12 exhaust valve stem seals.
How can I find which ones are for the int / exh ???

If you want me to post up a picture,please let me know..
Thanks!

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
I did not think they are the same... For some reson, I believe that there is a minor color or length difference. I remember getting ready to do these myself on one of my 2J GE heads and somewhere on Supraforms MKIV section, they had a write-up that said something along these lines.

I'd doublecheck before getting started. I may be wrong, but since you only get 24 in the set, you can't be wrong or mess a single one of them up.

SupraClaou

Supramania Contributor
Sep 1, 2006
Athens,Greece
I heard that the only difference of the oem toyota seals is that the exhaust
valve stems seals are more durable to heat.
But it seams that ferrea makes both intake/exhaust from the same durable
material.

What you think guys?

Bigzavs

86.5 1JZ Single Turbo
Apr 21, 2005
Arlington, TX
ive done the stem seals on mine 3 times (im anal, and i had the head off the motor and apart anyways) and i never noticed a difference on them

becauseican

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Vancouver
www.bicperformance.com
The stock Toyota seals are different, intake and exhaust, they are slightly different color and one has an extra lip on the inside if I recal corectly. But I am not sure about the Ferrera seals, I have never used them. If you look closley can you see any difference?

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
I have 3 sets at home and can check 'em later and post what I find. I just did a quick search on SF and can't find the write-up where I thought I saw what the difference is.

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa

SupraClaou

Supramania Contributor
Sep 1, 2006
Athens,Greece
becauseican;1443540 said:
The stock Toyota seals are different, intake and exhaust, they are slightly different color and one has an extra lip on the inside if I recal corectly. But I am not sure about the Ferrera seals, I have never used them. If you look closley can you see any difference?

They are all (ferrea seals) 24 the same....
Gonna take a picture in a couple of minutes !

SupraClaou

Supramania Contributor
Sep 1, 2006
Athens,Greece
Here are some picts of the Ferrea valve stem seals:
(They all have the same colour,height,outer/inner diameter,etc.)

p1443781_1.jpg

p1443781_2.jpg

p1443781_3.jpg

p1443781_4.jpg

r45marsh

Old MotorHead
Sep 22, 2007
Huntsville,Alabama
Satan;1443735 said:
Some how-to info linked below. One of them said that they had 12 seals which used a dark brown rubber and the other 12 was black rubber. I dunno if that's the stock setup, but the ones I have at home are the viton ones as well and may be the same for intake and exhaust.

Will let ya know what I find when I get home later.

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=367794

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=49859
http://mkiv.com/techarticles/valve_stem/index.html

+1

Used this method on 7M heads 3 times,no worries, but a PITA. Must have a very understanding partner/wife/girlfriend. and lots of beer.:naughty:

Used Viton seals the last time(IMO the best) and no problems since, related to valve stem seals.

Mark Conte

Supramania Contributor
This is in reference to a 2JZ, no? The Ferrea part numbers going off memory are VS1008 and VS1009. The VS1008 is the exhaust seal, the 9 is the intake seal. They do differentiate between the two, at least enough for them to create a second number.

Now in regards to the Toyota seals, I don't know if they differentiate because we always order Ferrea for the 2JZ cars. I did order two sets of 7M seals today for customers from Toyota and they were a single part number, nothing different between intake and exhaust.

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
The viton seals I got with an aftermarket gasket set are slightly different (just checked). There are 12 which are somewhat grey (gray) and 12 which appear "copper'ish." just a tad darker than the grey (gray).

If yours all appear EXACTLY he same, then you should be allright.

Turbosidosis

PVC FTW
Mar 31, 2005
Houston (Sugar Land), TX
My question is a little off topic, but I'm currently doing the valve stem seals on my 1jz and I have been measuring my valve's free lengths and I keep getting over 44mm. The 2jz tsrm says it should be 41.74mm. Do y'all think there is something wrong or am I doing something wrong?