Help, first start up!!

mk3-4-me

May 19, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
so i finally got my car to start up. :) i have to fiddle with the gas pedal to start it. When it does start, in order to keep it alive i have to, you know, kepp it alive with the gas pedal. But it kinda goes on its own and revs up to about 5k then comes down to how much i have my pedal in. Idk if thats just cause its the first start up after a rebuild. But i was just wonderin if any of you could explain something about that. THANKS

mk3-4-me

May 19, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
ok so i had the tps unplugged, and now it doesnt do that. But now it wont rev past about 3.5 k. It idles rough to. Im thinking its a vacuum leak, does that sound right? it must be the intercooler piping somewhere.

And my auto tranny wont shift into any gear. I move it back and forth but it doesnt engage. You know what that would be?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Tps is prolly either out of adjustment or needs replacement.

Check the linkage for the tranny.

Also check your codes as well. 41 and 51 would be tps.

mk3-4-me

May 19, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
the linkage it moving just fine, maybe its because theres to much fluid in there? lol

But i just looked at my car after running it for a lil bit. And my cams are both pointing up but my crank mark is at 5 now. It was at 0 before i timed it with a timing light. Its not supposed to change like that is it? Or is it at 5 * timing now and i need to go a lil more to 10*? I thought that was just supposed to show with the light. im gunna put it back to 0 cause that doesnt sound right.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Crank should be at tdc and cam marks pointing up for cam/crank timing.
For ign timing te1 and e1 need to be jumped in the diag box and the cps/distributor needs to be turned and watching the crank set to 10*btdc.

Its common for the rubber in the middle of the crank to get brittle and move which you should replace the crank pulley if that is the case.

You should also check your codes.

paradox616

Sep 12, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
Do you mean stopped the crank is at 5deg and the cams at at the match marks?, if so it sounds like your timing belt jumped a tooth, Did you follow the TSRM method of installing the timing belt?

While running & in diagnostic mode using a timing light the crank should reflect 10deg BTDC, The cams and crank should match up on 0deg.

mk3-4-me

May 19, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
ok ya thast exactly what i thought about me jumping a tooth. Its hard to get that damn belt tight all around!! lol any tricks to that or i just gotta get it right? Its like its always a tooth to far to be tight.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Set the belt in the right position, tighten the tensioner, make sure you have the same amount of tension on both sides of the belt, and then turn the motor over 2 revolutions. Double check that nothing has moved and you have the same amount of tension on the belt on both sides and your good to go.

I would verify that the piston is on tdc and the crank pulley is on 0 before you go farther tho.