Help Factory radio locked...

yask4it

7m nut!!!
Oct 14, 2006
north carolina
OK so I just got mY targa supra home... It has the factory radio in but there was no battery in it... When I put a battery in it and tried to turn on the radio it is locked... I have no clue what the code is to unlock it... How do I unlock the factory radio... There has to be amaster code or something to unlock it......

Yellow 13

Lurker
Apr 4, 2006
Fairfield, California
Take it out, throw it as hard as you can. Then go get something better and put it in.

If you dont want to do that, you could disconnect the battery for awhile and then hook it up. Might be able to reset it. I've never heard of a stock radio locking before.

Justin

Speakers?
Mar 31, 2005
Spokane, Wa
wtf, what year is your car dude? I'd never heard of a supra having an anti theft feature like that?

pull the radio, get the serial, and go to toyota.

yask4it

7m nut!!!
Oct 14, 2006
north carolina
The car is a 89 it has the factory tape player with the anti theft.... I will probally end up putting a aftermarket radio in it... But I would like to get this one unlock and see if all the speackers work befor goin out and buying stuff...

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
rofl man you guys...

you should prolly goto toyota :p honestly i have read about this in the haynes manual but uhh... what nash said :(

Justin

Speakers?
Mar 31, 2005
Spokane, Wa
NashMan said:
000000 0000001 0000002 ect may take some time
chances are it will lock you out after 3 tries.

Just take it to toyota dude... this is a VERY common thing on newer radios, i Just didn't realize that the supra was equipped with anything like it :)

89TurboPC

May 10, 2007
Beach Cities, SoCal
Man I don't even know/remember what is my stock radio look like after having the supra for 10+ years. It was gone the next weekend after I bought the car. I didn't recalled reading about radio lock in the user manual.

Well, just pay the dealer to do it. BTW, they only unlock the unit if it serial number match with the VIN or you have to show them the received you bought the radio LEGALLY.

I had Honda reset the code on the HU on the Accord once. Because they're going to charge to reset even the car is under warranty, I just replace the radio fuse with a blow fuse and drive to the dealer playing dump that my radio doesn't work. They replace the fuse and reset the radio under warranty. ;).

Justin

Speakers?
Mar 31, 2005
Spokane, Wa
89TurboPC said:
Man I don't even know/remember what is my stock radio look like after having the supra for 10+ years. It was gone the next weekend after I bought the car. I didn't recalled reading about radio lock in the user manual.

Well, just pay the dealer to do it. BTW, they only unlock the unit if it serial number match with the VIN or you have to show them the received you bought the radio LEGALLY.

I had Honda reset the code on the HU on the Accord once. Because they're going to charge to reset even the car is under warranty, I just replace the radio fuse with a blow fuse and drive to the dealer playing dump that my radio doesn't work. They replace the fuse and reset the radio under warranty. ;).

They shoudln't charge you to do it.

plaaya69

87T Supra
Nov 18, 2006
Lake County, IL
I never tried it but I heard of someone with a locked Toyota radio put it in the frezzer for a few hours and they said it worked after that. I think the info was at the celica forums.

yask4it

7m nut!!!
Oct 14, 2006
north carolina
I guess I will just junk the radio... I don't feel like dealin with the dealer ship for a locked radio when a aftermarket one will sound better anyways....

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
Weatherford, Texas, United States
Just call your local Toyota dealership and ask them. If you can get it unlocked then you can sell it. People do still buy those you know. They will need the vin # and serial off the radio, or there may be a master code. You won't know till you call. It won't cost you anything to ask. Don't be lazy.

cartel1_950

supra is gone
Jan 30, 2006
calgary
gtsfirefighter said:
Just call your local Toyota dealership and ask them. If you can get it unlocked then you can sell it. People do still buy those you know. They will need the vin # and serial off the radio, or there may be a master code. You won't know till you call. It won't cost you anything to ask. Don't be lazy.

haha i have one out of my 92 ready to go if any one actually wants it.:naughty:

TooGoode

rediculous DD
Mar 1, 2007
Chandler, Arizona
by putting it in the freezer, the bios battery in it will die, so it wont remember it was tampered with.....dont plug it in right away though, after a few hours in the freezer, put it out for a few hours in room temp, so it doesnt create condensation and really mess things up..

Mk3runner

Supramania Contributor
Nov 19, 2006
Nor Cal
toyota is the only way to find out the 4 digit code.. I'd say screw it go aftermarket. I still have my stock one in my 92 mk3 its fun to play with but still isn't and alpine or eclipse deck.