Help deciding on new wheels..

TRD4Life

Aug 5, 2010
Reno, NV
Hi, I am looking to buy new wheels and I need some help choosing between a few I have chosen. I am looking for some black with red lip, 5-spoke rims. I am open for suggestions but must be close to what I am looking for.

TENZO Tracer V1: These look nice and come in good size IMO. Not sure on the offset on these..

http://www.wheelsnext.com/wheels-rims/TENZO-Tracer V1-Black w| Stripe.html#wheel_more

XXR 962: These are okay rims, but worried that the lip color won't be as bright red as I want...

http://www.wheelsnext.com/wheels-rims/XXR-962-Black w| Stripe.html

ENKEI EV5: I really like these, but they don't come in more sizes...

http://www.wheelsnext.com/wheels-rims/Enkei-EV5-Hyperblack.html

BTW I am new to the Supra community, not many of them here where I live. Well not many that are running anyways.

p1633886_1.jpg

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
IMO, they all fail.. lack of sizing on 1 and 3, and 962s have been overdone since the Sportmaxx days.

maybe take a look at some nicer used wheels (WORK, Enkei, VOLK, etc., that were expensive as hell new).. that's what I did.

TRD4Life

Aug 5, 2010
Reno, NV
Yeah i know they aren't the best wheels but I can't seem to find any good ones in the colors I want. It's either the the size is legit but not the coloring or the colors are legit and not the size.

HEDORAH

awwww fuck
Oct 3, 2010
Fort Lewis, WA
Focus on correct sizing/weight. color can change any day. you won't be happy with a wheel that 'matches' but has a 3" gap between the tire and the fender.

Most cheap wheels are imitations of performance wheels anyway. Go for a performance wheel and go legit. Used Enkeis, Rays, SSRs and the like are a lot cheaper than new and you can powder coat them in any color/pattern you want.

TRD4Life

Aug 5, 2010
Reno, NV
They are really nice but at $600 a wheel is just crazy. I might end up getting them some day, but for now I am open for any other suggestions.

steven89

Jul 8, 2006
Houston, TX
Get the 5zigen fn01r-c wheels. Theyre cheap and a decent quality wheel, and theyre actually light too! They come in a combination of colors - black with polished lip, flat black, flat bronze, silver, and i believe you can get flat black with red stripe. I had a set of flat blacks for my first set of rims. I loved em, until i broke one doing something stupid. Check em out.

If you want 17s id go
17x8 and 25 offset for front and 17x9 and 35 offset for rear [you could go 20 in the rear, depending how low you are]
If you want 18s
18x8.5 and 30 offset front, 18x9.5 and 35 offset rear.
LINK TO WHEELS ON DISCOUNTTIRE

Usually you don't wanna go much higher than 38 in offset [for a 8-10" wide wheel]. unless you want a super sunken in look.

TRD4Life

Aug 5, 2010
Reno, NV
If i were to go 18x8.5 +30 f and 18x9.5 +35 r, what tire size would be good to run? I'm new to this wheel and tire thing.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Rice as well.

Silver/polished/chrome looks great, even a dark silver or grey looks good. Black looks like crap when the car is moving, and was one of those fads that bugged me. Polished lip with a dark gray or silver center is pretty nice, so the enkei's aren't bad, but they don't come in ideal sizes/offsets. The red line around the rim screeeeeeeeeams rice to me, as all the honda's around here run them.

Depends a lot on the finish on black wheels, but meshies are a bit of an exception in my book. Like these: http://www.wheelsnext.com/wheels-rims/XXR-521-Black Flat.html

It's your car, but depending on brake pads you run, black/white are absolute nightmares to keep clean...

TRD4Life

Aug 5, 2010
Reno, NV
Ehh we all have our own likes and dislikes. I respect your opinion, but to me black on black looks nice. I am trying to match the black/red interior I plan on doing later once I have more money.

HEDORAH

awwww fuck
Oct 3, 2010
Fort Lewis, WA
The cleanest look will always be pure metal. thus straight aluminum, mag, other light weight materials = best.
Prime example: RPF01s
some racing rims are painted to help keep corrosion away (brake dust) and the red stripe is a hint at rim tape, although i dont think many realize the reference anymore... not really used in auto racing anymore (could be wrong but havent seen it in a while) more a motorcycle thing. to guard against flats. modern car wheels dont need it and makes your car look shametarded anyway.
lips have been used forever and is a way to increase width while still fitting the suspension. i love good lip...

So: painted rims, rim stripes, lips are all imitations of real functional designs.
and btw chrome is heavy as fuck, and imo looks like shit on a supra. save it for muscle/vip builds