HELP: Cooling System Problems

snafu5962

HONDA HATER
Apr 6, 2005
southern pa
My car has been losing coolant every now and then for a little while now. I have no leaks in my system. I found that the coolant resevoir runs really low every now and then so i fill it. The resevoir was close to dry last night so i filled it. This morning i started my car and went inside to let it warm up. When i come outside coolant is pouring from under the resevoir so i pop the hood. with the car still running i see coolant spewing from the overflow end of the cap. i shut the car off and take the cap off and coolant is overflowing out of the resevoir. i put the cap on and closed the hood and drove it to school bacause i have no other way to school. i get in it and the low coolant light is on. what is wrong :icon_mad: ? do i have a block in the system somewhere? please help fast!

thanks

snafu5962

HONDA HATER
Apr 6, 2005
southern pa
nope not overheating (atleast the temp gauge says its not its reading half way just like it should) i put more water in it before i left school and i has not yet leaked out. i dont get it. the resevoir cap looks like it seals alright. do u think it could be a blockage somewhere in the block?

Anomili

Obsessed
Apr 9, 2005
In an Igloo
www.cardomain.com
If your car is has a manual transmission then you might want to look for two pipes that are blocked off near the back of the engine on the turbo side. My car was loosing coolant for about 2 months before I found it. The two pipes are those that would go to the auto tranny if you had one. In the manual transmission cars the pipes were just blocked off. Just one more thing to check though.

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
GrimJack said:
Replace your rad cap. If that doesn't help, get a block test to check for a blown head gasket.

Make a simple check. Take off your oil filler cap & see if it's milky brown on the bottom. Sounds like a BHG to me. Sorry.

bluemax

The Family Man
Mar 30, 2005
Orange County, CA
I have the same problem.
The car mysteriously loses water. No signs of leaks. No overheating. And if I monitored it every day, it wouldn't loose water. But then a few weeks after I stopped monitoring the water, it would be low again.

Anomili

Obsessed
Apr 9, 2005
In an Igloo
www.cardomain.com
The only time I've encountered a rad cap problem was when the seal on the rad cap on my dad's bmw 328i broke and the radiator decided to blow the pipe that carried coolant away from it. I have never seen a car loose soo much coolant soo fast.

americanjebus

Mr. Evergreen
Mar 30, 2005
wa.
well dude smell your exhaust if it smells like maple syrup then your burning it, next park on a hill with front as high as you can get it then let it run w/out the rad cap for half an hour cus you might have air pockets that mess w/ your thermostat i had that, i had huge air pockets that would not let it flow then when it vented the coolant would flow like no tomorrow. then try replacing your cap and check your oil for coolant.

snafu5962

HONDA HATER
Apr 6, 2005
southern pa
well i talked to some more ppl and they all said rad cap because of it overflowing the coolant into the coolant resevoir. i proally do have a BHG too but i dont care about that bacause my motor is a POS anyways....thats the reason for me doing the GTE swap VERY soon. ill try the cap and ill let u guys know 2 marrow.....thanks!

snafu5962

HONDA HATER
Apr 6, 2005
southern pa
yup that confirms my problem...rad. cap. goin to pick it up at advance auto right now...let u all know how it turns out. thanks for the threads...they helped alot!