Help! Charging problem

Heggmonic

Oct 14, 2006
Montreal, Quebec
I’m hoping that some will be able to help out, this forum has been an excellent source of help in the past….

Yesterday I installed new carpet as the old one was destroyed due to a leaky clutch master cylinder. I took the car for a test drive (I also replaced the clutch master cylinder) and all was fine. I stopped and adjusted the timing and went for another short drive. I let the clutch out too quick and the car stalled, and I started it up immediately. The battery (charge) light, the brake light and light out lights all came on and the voltmeter was showing no charge. I thought that maybe the ignition switch or a glitch in the electrical system, but figured it would be fine after I shut the car off and reset.. Well that is not the case..

I checked for voltage at the alternator 3 pin connector, voltage is present at all points except the black wire (according to my crappy wiring diagram, this is the fusible link from the battery). I also checked the fusible link and all of the fuses in the engine compartment, they are all good.

I took a look at the fuse box in the drivers kick panel and found some suspect fuses, that looked damaged. There are 3 that have been destroyed (they fall apart, the plastic has been eaten away by the brake fluid). Anyway I also noted that the turn signals no longer work either. I took one of the good fuses I had and stuck it in the turn signal location in the fuse box but they still do not work..

If anyone can provide any hints as to where to look it would be greatly appreciated. Also, if you could direct me to where there is a decent wiring diagram for an 87 that would also be of great assistance.

Best Regards,

Heggmonic

Oct 14, 2006
Montreal, Quebec
Well I replaced the fuse and now have power to the alternator and it appears to be charging. However, I do not have turn signals. I checked for voltage at the fuse box and 2 fuses do not have power, tail, and mir-htr. There is also a relay which is quite hot. I really need the WDM for these circuits to isolate the problem. Even though it appears to be charging, the lights are still on, Battery, light out and brake light.

Heggmonic

Oct 14, 2006
Montreal, Quebec
jetjock said:
As Nick said you can't do much work on the car's electrical system without an EWD. This one will suffice for your problem:

http://tinyurl.com/23ajqz
This is great! I have everything working now. It appears that the brake fluid did more damage than I originally thought. There were an number of fuses that were corroded and in some cases deteriorated to the point that they were not functioning.

Once again the experts to the rescue! Thank you.

Dave