Help, Charging/Electrical Problem

Suprarook

Ninety-Chew Mk-Tree
Mar 18, 2007
wisconsin/illinois border
Hey everyone, my name is Frank, I just recently purchased a 92 N/A supra 5 speed. I will be posting some pics tomorrow and more about me and my car but for now I need HELP !!!!!....... I just installed a new battery and a reman alternator and my main problem now is that the alternator doesn't seem to be charging the battery, the belt is on tight, all the wires are hooked up and seem to be getting a good connection. The fuses in all of the car are still good. One thing is the tailight warning light, battery light and parking brake light are on constantly on. I read a few days back on this site about rewiring the tailights to bypass the tail lamp failure box but that did not take care of my problem. ANY ideas !!!!!!???

supramacist

Banned
Apr 8, 2006
The Grassy Knole
Well if it's not charging the battery you have a failed reman. This could cause the problems your having but you need someone that knows for sure.

I would get a new alternator and break out the volt meter.

87nasupra

Scotty's Garage
Mar 2, 2006
Jacksonville, FLORIDA !
Get a good volt meter and check the voltage in your battery while its running to make sure your alt. is working properly. It should read from 13-14 volts. Also check the connections at the back of your alternator..and on top...i had the problem with my connector not getting plugged in all the way and the same thing happened ( lights and such ). Trace wires from the alt. back to the battery to insure they are connected and corrosion free. Good luck with your new "Investment" :biglaugh:

Suprarook

Ninety-Chew Mk-Tree
Mar 18, 2007
thanks for the replies, I am excited with this car....my First supra and I hope it will be my only, I would like to update with a 7mgte swap in the near future but for now I have to get it running right so I can work to make more money to put into it. I will definitely chase those alt wires down, I'm glad to have joined SupraMania, most everyone I have spoken to about these "issues" are like "....uuuummmm, duh, try jump starting it..." and sh*t like that, I am proud to be a new member of the Supra community.
Hey, does anyone have any info on Chicagoland area supra clubs or meets...I would be interested in going and getting to know some of you around Chi-Town.

87nasupra

Scotty's Garage
Mar 2, 2006
Jacksonville, FLORIDA !
I have 2.....White N/A, Auto, Targa (DD)..and Black Turbo, 5 spd, Targa-work in progress.....they are money hungry cars.................I wouldn't have it any other way. Once you drive one and feel it kick, your hooked and wont go back. Good luck with your Supe

NA86.5

NA-T Complete Yo
Jan 20, 2006
Alice Tx
I had the same problem and it was the 1.25b fuseable link marked in the fuse box in the motor bay.

JesseH

Nov 12, 2005
Englewood, Ohio, United States
as for the taillight failure light, since the box is located in the back...the hatch seals tend to leak being old so therefore moisture gets into the box whitch causes it to fail...my light has been on for over 3 years now but my tails work just fine. im sure you could just find a different box from someone parting out a supra in the f/s section. good luck with the new supra!

Suprarook

Ninety-Chew Mk-Tree
Mar 18, 2007
thanx for letting me know about my 92 not having fusible links, I thought that there was a combination of fusible links with fuses as with one of the previous posts. As with this stupid warning light issue, my e-brake, tailight failure light, and battery light are on at the same time also causing the battery power to drop to about 8, and I am also having a problem with the alternator charging the battery. I believe they are connected. Sometimes the warning lights go off and the battery power is restored....??, I have purchased a new alternator and battery, and I have chased all the alternator wires going from the alt to the fuse box, to the engine, those are fine. What do you think about the underdrive pulley or crank pulley? My pulley has a loose ring on the inside of the pulley along the engine side which is looses and makes noise, do you think that maybe my pulley is loose or in someway needs to be changed to help out with my charging system issue??

Suprarook

Ninety-Chew Mk-Tree
Mar 18, 2007
I was up til around 1 AM last night taking shit apart and following all those wires around, is there some kind of procedure to replacing all of those wires, maybe just some tips on how to rewire the alt wires or just replace them with 12 gauge wires, I have the wire waiting just need some help with this, I am new to auto electrical work, I can do most everything else. But, when it comes to wires and junk, i'm clueless....thanx

87nasupra

Scotty's Garage
Mar 2, 2006
Jacksonville, FLORIDA !
Suprarook said:
I was up til around 1 AM last night taking shit apart and following all those wires around, is there some kind of procedure to replacing all of those wires, maybe just some tips on how to rewire the alt wires or just replace them with 12 gauge wires, I have the wire waiting just need some help with this, I am new to auto electrical work, I can do most everything else. But, when it comes to wires and junk, i'm clueless....thanx

most auto part stores have replament battery cables, alt. cables, etc.
go by a part store and tell them what car you have and you SHOULD be able to get universal cables. go to http://cygnusx1.net/supra/ go to TSRM and eletrical diagrams are there to look at! GOOD LUCK!!!!!

Suprarook

Ninety-Chew Mk-Tree
Mar 18, 2007
thanx for the site, I checked it out..seems helpful. Maybe from past issues have u heard of the starter wiring causing a malfunction in the charging system? I was bouncin 'round the web earlier and found a forum in which a 1989 bmw 325 had a alt issue and it was traced back to the starter wiring? Weird I know, I've checked my starter wiring and all seems fine...what ya think? Should I just by a 2nd parts supra and swap everything into mine...maybe better luck with this crap problem

supramacist

Banned
Apr 8, 2006
The Grassy Knole
The problem is you will never know the truth about what is good or bad about your parts car until you have installed those parts. You should just buy new parts. You get what you pay for is an understatement with these autos.

johnathan1

Supra =
Aug 19, 2005
Downey, California, United States
I didn't want to start another thread, but my car just started doing this (the three lights coming on) but it does it intermittently, once in a while when I rev the engine pretty high, they will stay on for about 30 secs, then turn off when I rev the engine...

Any ideas? I am guessing loose wiring going to the Battery/Alt?

Suprarook

Ninety-Chew Mk-Tree
Mar 18, 2007
wELL i TELL YA... I rewired my alternator and battery with new electrical lines, purchased a second...that's 2nd! new alternator, and another new battery...yep that makes two new batteries and two new alternators later, and my problem of those three lights went away.
Now I don't know if the alt or the battery were faulty (remember they were both just bought new after I had this light problem the first time), and I don't know if I had a faulty wire going to the alt or battery. Also for shits and giggles I changed out the 100 amp fuse for the alt in the fuse box located near the battery, and I checked all the fuses in the interior near the drivers kick panel box and near the ecu area under the right side passenger kick panel.
1st thing I would do if I were you is to remove the alternator AND the battery and have them both tested -either Pep Boys, Autozone, etc will test these things for free (Better to be sure if they are good or bad!!)
Good luck, also are u having alt charging issues ...ie, the voltmeter inside the car going up and down between 9 and 12 volts, and your alt charging battery ok??

johnathan1

Supra =
Aug 19, 2005
Downey, California, United States
Well, my car doesn't have a voltmeter in the dash (turbo).

Yesterday, the alternator totally stopped charging the battery, and the lights are staying on constantly now...

I will be replacing the alternator today...so I'll just see what happens. :)