help another problem

apexi287

Jul 24, 2005
Knoxville, TN
..ok here i go please read in full...

ok ill start with the owner i bought this car from didnt take care of it..i got it with a cracked casing in the turbo so it was slightly smoking but bairly, could hardly tell..he gave me another turbo to swap it with..i got home and did that but it didnt boost later my entire exhaust system literally fell apart and off my car so i replaced my entire exhaust system it killed two birds with one stone..i got a new system and i was now boosting..the stock downpipe restricted my car that bad and didnt let my turbo spool..

anyways that same day after i finally got boost i wanted to feel the power that i hadnt yet..so i took it out that night ran it slightly hard not too bad cuz i didnt quite kno my car yet..and right away got a BHG it was probably already blown but i noticed right then cuz it was overheating/stalling and smoking it was really bad..the next day i started to do the job of replacing the headgasket i went through the whole process but i just used stock parts..when i finished it was leaking like crazy and still smoking..my problem wasnt fixed..the head itself was cracked..

so i took it to a shop to do the repairs and headgasket job but with a greddy MHG and arp studs and completely rebuilt cylinder head this time...they completed the job except they didnt use the HG or Studs that i gave them cuz there ass holes also i had it towed back because they forgot to put the cam seals in and i wasnt gonna pay more to have them do that so i did that...i did that adn then drove it, i literally pulled it out of my driveway and BOOM i heard a big bang and then no power and stalled..

my turbo blew i had no boost nothing..so i took it in my garage and replaced it with the turbo that was on the car in the first place when i got it despite the fact it burnt oil..drove like that for a while..i then decided to replace the turbo and might as well do a turbo upgrade so i bought a t4 manifold garrett ts04 turbo and hks standard wastegate i also made a custom o2 housing to fit the turbo..anyways i did the swap and thought my issues were fianlly over..nope..

i had boost but it felt like i was hitting fuel cut around 2500-3000rpms it also seemed i was running on less cylinders..it was like getting pushed back with the same force as i was producing everytime i tried to excelerate..the bov also doesntt have its old pshhh but a sputtering psshh it sounds like compressor surge...i kept doing little things..lowering boost in case i was hitting fuel cut..replacing vacuum lines and hoses..and things like that hoping it would help it didnt.....

the car eventually started smoking like crazy under acceleration but would go away while i was cruising but still with no power..i thought i had another BHG, i have codes for turbo charger pressure, 02 sensor, and knock sensor ..im starting to think that im getting blow by due to the lack of power and it smoking like crazy so this is what i was planning on doing..replacing the piston rings on all 6 cylinders and using an HKS MHG and arp studs..let me kno what you guys think the problem is..sorry about all the info..

the real poblem now that im trying to figure out is in the bold..the rest is just background..i need any help i can get..also i kno it cant be my valve stems seals that are burning oil or whatnot because there brand new since i bought a completely rebuilt head for my headgasket job....

y does it feel like im hitting fuel cut/getting no power and burning oil..o yeah my coolant is also brown lol it seems oil is getting in it..so yeah thats my problem i think i got it all if you have questions ask..thanks..i need this thing back on the road!!!

Stretch

Tallest MK3 driver ever!!
Mar 30, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
Well, as far as i know, if oil is getting into your coolant, you have a leak, which is also one sign of another bhg I'm pretty sure. You rings theory sounds like it could help, with new rings, broken in correctly ofcourse, you should get much less blowby, less smoke out of tailpipe, better everything I would say. It's not like changing a turb oto for rings, that's a take out engine kinda job.
eric

suprabad

Coitus Non Circum
Jul 12, 2005
Down Like A Clown Charley Brown
Stretch said:
Well, as far as i know, if oil is getting into your coolant, you have a leak, which is also one sign of another bhg I'm pretty sure. You rings theory sounds like it could help, with new rings, broken in correctly ofcourse, you should get much less blowby, less smoke out of tailpipe, better everything I would say. It's not like changing a turb oto for rings, that's a take out engine kinda job.
eric

Sounds about right.

For what it's worth here's what I would do:

Start from scratch. Pull the motor and disassemble the whole nasty mess.
Inspect every bolt, nut, rod, piston, crank journal, valve, spring....well, you get the idea. Reason is, you're never gonna know what you have until you tear it all the way down and re-do the whole mill.

Look at it this way, you've already spent alot of money and haven't gotten much in the way of results despite what I'm sure were the best of intentions. Just get it over with, do the nasty and rebuild from scratch. As bad as I'm sure it sounds at least you'll know where you stand and what you have. When your done you will end this frustration and expense once and for all (well at least for awhile).

I've been there and I feel your pain.

apexi287

Jul 24, 2005
Knoxville, TN
...ive now done a compression test this is what i got 1=150 2=155 3=145 4=160 5=150 6=145 so my compression is good i next am going to find a new wiring harness as mine is so frail its redicoulus both knock sensors were disconected and the conections cant even be soldered back together..

.i have a feeling my timing is my issue cuz its way off due to the knock sensors not even being connected the boost is at 9psi so i dont need any other supporting mods at the moment because that is what i ran my CT at so i just need to fix that wiring harness and get my turbo rebuilt because that is my smoke issue the turbine casing is cracked and my o2 sensor is coated in oil and theres lots of carbon build up on the turbine itself..

ill do those things..get a new harness rebuild my turbo and set the timing and replace the timing belt at the same time..and then ill see what i come up with with my compression being ok i feel those are my issues and trouble areas and those things are being taken care of...i dont think i have to tare the engine apart just yet..i think i may have found the problems but we'll see

apexi287

Jul 24, 2005
Knoxville, TN
i believe the brown coolant was from when my old turbo was mixing the coolant and oil due to the cracked casing..because ever since ive flushed my fluids everything looks how its supposed too

suprabad

Coitus Non Circum
Jul 12, 2005
apexi287 said:
...ive now done a compression test this is what i got 1=150 2=155 3=145 4=160 5=150 6=145 so my compression is good

...with my compression being ok

Hold on a sec here....15 lbs of compression ration variance is too much! :nono: Yeah, it'll run but it's still beyond the acceptable range. I think your making a big mistake by not taking this thing all the way apart. Look at what you've done so far. Do you really want to keep patching this motor together? You're asking for trouble. Mark my words.

I'm not trying to be critical or negative, I just hate to see you put yourself through more grief. Good luck.

apexi287

Jul 24, 2005
Knoxville, TN
o i wasnt aware that was not good a couple other supra owners told me i was good..but ive already planned to take the head off and replace the headgasket with a hks mhg this week so ill look things over then..thanks for letting me kno..i had been told it was ok

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
The TSRM stats the following pressures when doing a compression check
Optimum pressure of 156psi or more
Minimum Pressure of 128psi
Maximum variance 14psi

Sounds like you fuel cut problem could be a boost leak.

suprabad

Coitus Non Circum
Jul 12, 2005
apexi287 said:
actually i was looking at the TSRM and it said the lowest compression difference should be 14 psi..and im only one off..

I hear ya but...think about it, you're 1 psi over acceptable varience for compression right now. If you're going to have to take it apart anyway why not do it now rather then sink money and time into an engine that is definitely going to require further attention later.

Honestly, you are going to end up doing the whole engine in the fairly near future anyway, why not do it now and save your self the time, grief and money of having to do it twice? Not to mention the benefit of peace of mind.

Do you really want to fix this thing again knowing that you are starting off with an engine that is on it's last legs? Doesn't make you feel warm and fuzzy, does it?

Just my "dos centavos".

apexi287

Jul 24, 2005
Knoxville, TN
yeah i understand thats why im gonna do one more compression test along with a wet test to see whats up..im taking the head off and doing a mhg job so yeah i might as well do the rings..itll just be a bitch and time consuming...i hear you its not a good idea to tear it apart and not do it all so im gotta get everything together and hopefully do it all and get it done right..thanks man for your help ill keep you posted..i will get this doen right

apexi287

Jul 24, 2005
Knoxville, TN
also how much hp can the bottom end hold if i rip it apart i might as well build it right but im only looking for around 500 and ive heard the stock bottom end is fine for that..i dont want to get too off topic with that question but im jw

apexi287

Jul 24, 2005
Knoxville, TN
ok sorry for the wrong compression rates i deffinently was reading it wrong/off the first time i did it 5 more times along with a wet test and all cylinders are as follows..and wet test never changed..1=150, 2=155, 3=150, 4=160, 5=150, 6=150..that looks much better