HELP 1jzgte starts and dies *video

ifyouaint1sturlast

Banned Scammer - I'm whitemike.
Jun 14, 2011
Fort Myers/Cape Coral - Florida
I feel that your spraying starting fluid into the intake and it still dies is proof enough that it's not a fuel issue. (If you continue spraying and it still dies - that is)

Do a test for me, and see if the car will stay on if you prop the throttle open a little bit.. can't believe we didn't think of this sooner. I don't know why we are so focused on the fuel pump? Ugh. :)

Do some reading:
http://jzxproject.com/bbs/index.php?showtopic=2175
http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/te...lls-dies-post-conversion-teething-issues.html
http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?148181-1jz-swap-starts-then-stalls

Last edited:

525gte

Sep 19, 2011
hoquiam
If the ecu does not read the water temp snsor it will start and die.. normally only when their is a connection issue. They are cheap you should prob replace it anyway. And I do not know if it is the same for other sensors like air temp but I bet it is. I acutually had to replace about 6 inches of my harness to get my temp sensor to work right it was all bad wiring for me

vIetDrIfTeR

Mar 19, 2010
d town
ifyouaint1sturlast;1817504 said:
I feel that your spraying starting fluid into the intake and it still dies is proof enough that it's not a fuel issue. (If you continue spraying and it still dies - that is)

Do a test for me, and see if the car will stay on if you prop the throttle open a little bit.. can't believe we didn't think of this sooner. I don't know why we are so focused on the fuel pump? Ugh. :)
Do some reading:
http://jzxproject.com/bbs/index.php?showtopic=2175
http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/te...lls-dies-post-conversion-teething-issues.html
http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?148181-1jz-swap-starts-then-stalls

no the car stays running when i kept spray the starting fluid in the throttlebody. and nothing happens when i try to open the throttle when starting. i still think its a fueling problem. i know its not my pump. i took it out and test it. When i disconnect the fuel return from the engine, and turn on the pump. not much fuel come out, just drops is this right?

Last edited:

525gte

Sep 19, 2011
hoquiam
Are your injector powers plossible not wired correctly ? Like maybe they are loosing power after the car starts maybe test power

vIetDrIfTeR

Mar 19, 2010
d town
well the feed line from the tank to the engine, its fine i checked. alot of gas comes out when i jump +B and FP.

but there not much coming out the return line can anybody verify this please???????How much is suppose to come out ??

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
vIetDrIfTeR;1818285 said:
well the feed line from the tank to the engine, its fine i checked. alot of gas comes out when i jump +B and FP.

but there not much coming out the return line can anybody verify this please???????How much is suppose to come out ??

It should be the same amount if the car is not running. If its less, I'd suspect a weak pump.

vIetDrIfTeR

Mar 19, 2010
d town
525gte;1818281 said:
Are your injector powers plossible not wired correctly ? Like maybe they are loosing power after the car starts maybe test power
i check that bro but it runs when i spray starting fluid so i dont think its wired wrong or anything

IBoughtASupra;1818288 said:
It should be the same amount if the car is not running. If its less, I'd suspect a weak pump.

i check the pump bro. i even took it out and test it in water, put my finger over the output hole and i couldnt even cover it cause so much pressure coming out.

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
To elaborate on what another member said,

Start the car, let it stall. Check to see if you still have 12V at the injector pin. Don't cycle the key once it stalls, leave it in the run position and check the pins for the 12V.

525gte

Sep 19, 2011
hoquiam
spraying starting fluid has nothing to do with fuel delivery.. it goes thru the intake. not the fuel injectors. you might want to ck it

ifyouaint1sturlast

Banned Scammer - I'm whitemike.
Jun 14, 2011
Fort Myers/Cape Coral - Florida
Oh it does stay on when you spray starting fluid? I thought you said it didn't. Yes as Alan said, once it stalls, check EVERYTHING. Probe for power at the injectors, fuel pump, coil packs, etc.

Also, you can go to harbor freight and pick up a mechanical fuel pressure gauge for like $15-$20. This will tell you if the fuel pump is dropping off or if it's something else.

525gte;1818426 said:
spraying starting fluid has nothing to do with fuel delivery.. it goes thru the intake. not the fuel injectors. you might want to ck it

Uhh.. what?

vIetDrIfTeR

Mar 19, 2010
d town
IBoughtASupra;1818345 said:
To elaborate on what another member said,

Start the car, let it stall. Check to see if you still have 12V at the injector pin. Don't cycle the key once it stalls, leave it in the run position and check the pins for the 12V.

okay i do have 12v at the injector pin at on position and 10v at starting.

I just took out the fuel rail enough to leave the fuel line and injectors on. i had someone start the car and turns out there no fuel spraying?!?! what can cause this? my fuel dampener, regulator? i know my pump works. i tested and i can hear pumping. and i am getting 12v to the injectors

ifyouaint1sturlast;1818446 said:
Oh it does stay on when you spray starting fluid? I thought you said it didn't. Yes as Alan said, once it stalls, check EVERYTHING. Probe for power at the injectors, fuel pump, coil packs, etc.

Also, you can go to harbor freight and pick up a mechanical fuel pressure gauge for like $15-$20. This will tell you if the fuel pump is dropping off or if it's something else.

Uhh.. what?
yeah sorry should of been more clearer. but the engine stays running as long i keep spraying the starting fuel fluid.

uhh dont want hear harbor freight ever again lol. i use to work there like last week. but how do you test the fuel pressure? there no vavle to check it? i did took out the cam senor two clip on the back the head. and it was drained with oil. i clean it out and i tried starting it again but same thing happened (starts and dies).

i took the cam sensor clip out again and it was filled with oil again.?

Last edited:

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
What does the pulse look like? I believe and I will look into it when I get home but...if there is no confirmation from the igniter that the coils fired, the injectors get shut off? Anyone know this for sure?

vIetDrIfTeR

Mar 19, 2010
d town
pulse is 9v and 10v?? not too sure what u mean by pulse sorry.

but okay so here what i just did now i took out the feed fuel line from the dampener to the fuel rail and jump +B and FP and not much gas came out just drops. but when i took out the fuel feed line from body to the fuel dampener and the jump the FP, alot of gas came out. i know the fuel dampener dampens it but how much? does a fuel dampener ever go bad like this? because this has to be the problem

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
Hmmm. It shouldn't. Change it out and see if it helps. Let me make it clear, the 1J has many issues that are caused by that simple fuel line.

Pulse is everytime the ECU grounds the injector to fire. You will need a NOID light to test it. Lets work on getting close to the same pressure that goes into the rail, appear at the return side as well when the engine is not running and just jumping the FP and B+ terminals which you are doing.

Why don't you get a video of this fuel flow so we can have a look.

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
Cam/Crank/IGF

He hasn't said he doesn't have pulse yet as he didn't test that. He just checked the 12V source on each injector pin.

Let's see if he can get the fuel to be more after the dampener. Remove dampener, check if there is any clog. You can bypass it with a banjo bolt.

It weird, there is enough fuel to start, then it run, then stalls. Seems like a IGF signal to me, but let's wait to see this:

OP, get a video of the situation that you are trying to explain about the fuel flow after dampener/before.