Hella 90mm Headlight Setup

rodel

SoCal
May 19, 2005
SoCal
For those that haven't done the conversion, these are the arms that need to be modified. To make the installation as user friendly as possible, I think I should provide modified arms for the conversion, but I'll leave that as an option.

Thanks in advance to Tekdeus for this pic from his thread...
Untitled-75.jpg

The arms are minor details...my main task of the project is to be able to mass produce the Hella 90mm mount/bezel. For the mount/bezel, I've got to decide between a unit that will require cutting the headlight assembly vs a full replacement (of the headlight assembly)..

rodel

SoCal
May 19, 2005
SoCal
I think a full bolt on kit would be ideal for headlight conversion. I wanna get started on prototyping a full replacement for the factory headlight assemblies, so I need a pair of assemblies. I posted a WTB ad in the classifieds section.

Turbo Drifter

Dec 8, 2005
Surrey, BC Canada
Price is going to go way up though if you are making a full replacement assembly. Will we need to send our assembly's in to be used as cores?

I'm very interested but cost is always a factor.

Jeremy

mattsplat72

is sofa king
Jan 17, 2006
Sedro Woolley, Washington, United States
rodel;1364493 said:
I think a full bolt on kit would be ideal for headlight conversion. I wanna get started on prototyping a full replacement for the factory headlight assemblies, so I need a pair of assemblies. I posted a WTB ad in the classifieds section.

I dont know if you need them, But I have set of headlight from a jza70 clip . You want them I will send them . LMK

KeithH

Mar 31, 2005
Portland, OR
I've been working on my own headlights since 2000 now - just not a high priority for me any more - but I've done a LOT of reasearch on this.

There is no need to replace 54110/54120. You can actually use these as the base for your new assembly. Remaking these so you can keep all of the factory mounting points will be a HUGE task. Just cut out enough material to fit the new lights - trust me... it can be done. Also, you don't have to cut the radiator supports or anything... just the headlight bucket.

Don't mess around with some electronic controller that will likely fail when you can simply modify the linkages for far less $$. A simple cut here and there with a quick weld - or a tap and drill are all you really need to do to make this work like stock.

The most difficult parts of this project are actually the mounts for the lights themselves... and the bezel.

Start here - http://www.rallylights.com/detail.aspx?ID=4364 - this is the base halogen kit - you can add HID...

Be sure to keep the adjustability so you can tweak the lights.

Make sure that whatever mount you use that it doesn't exagerate the shake of the car - I can't tell you how many headlight hack-jobs I've seen where the light from the headlights actually wiggles as the car drives down the road.

A CF Bezel (surround) would be PERFECT if done right (rolled edges where the bezel meets the lights etc).

The mounting really isn't that difficult. I wouldn't re-create the entire assembly when it is perfectly suited (with some minor modifications) to house the Hella 90mm lights and provides a nice stable base already.

rodel

SoCal
May 19, 2005
SoCal
Thanks for the input, Keith

KeithH;1366716 said:
I've been working on my own headlights since 2000 now - just not a high priority for me any more - but I've done a LOT of reasearch on this.
Wow, since 2000? That's a long time and lots of research. You might as well finish your project. How far did you get?

For my setup, cutting my headlight bucket, creating a mount, installing the headlights, then wiring the lights in took a day. The only thing that I haven't done is create a bezel, which will not be very difficult.

KeithH;1366716 said:
There is no need to replace 54110/54120. You can actually use these as the base for your new assembly. Remaking these so you can keep all of the factory mounting points will be a HUGE task. Just cut out enough material to fit the new lights - trust me... it can be done. Also, you don't have to cut the radiator supports or anything... just the headlight bucket.
For my setup, the only thing that I've cut is the headlight bucket. I trust you, that it can be done, the setup is already on my car :icon_razz.

As far as making a new assembly. Yes, it's a huge task, that's why no one has created this part. I want to create something cleaner than "cutting" the headlight bucket. Basically, I'll be recreating the headlight bucket that is purposely for the the Hella 90mm headlights. In order to use the factory mounting points, I'd be reusing the bracket that holds the headlight bucket onto the radiator support. Ultimately, I'd like to have something like the setup below

p1367018_1.jpg

KeithH;1366716 said:
Don't mess around with some electronic controller that will likely fail when you can simply modify the linkages for far less $$. A simple cut here and there with a quick weld - or a tap and drill are all you really need to do to make this work like stock.
I've been using the same "Pivot" controller for 2 years, without modifying the linkages. Modifying the linkages is another option, without the use of the controller.

KeithH;1366716 said:
The most difficult parts of this project are actually the mounts for the lights themselves... and the bezel.
On the contrary, the level of difficulty is not as high as it seems to be.

KeithH;1366716 said:
Start here - http://www.rallylights.com/detail.aspx?ID=4364 - this is the base halogen kit - you can add HID...
That's where I bought my headlights

KeithH;1366716 said:
Make sure that whatever mount you use that it doesn't exagerate the shake of the car - I can't tell you how many headlight hack-jobs I've seen where the light from the headlights actually wiggles as the car drives down the road.
That's where a modified bumpstop will play it's role.

KeithH;1366716 said:
A CF Bezel (surround) would be PERFECT if done right (rolled edges where the bezel meets the lights etc).
That was the original plan

KeithH;1366716 said:
The mounting really isn't that difficult. I wouldn't re-create the entire assembly when it is perfectly suited (with some minor modifications) to house the Hella 90mm lights and provides a nice stable base already.

True...re-creating of the entire assembly is not required, that's where the "cutting" of the assembly is required; however, for my improved setup I'm looking to create something that does not require cutting by the installer. A bolt-on kit.

Of course, the pricepoint will be the deciding factor as to which part will be offered. Complete headlight bucket replacement vs. cutting the factory bucket.

Last edited:

KeithH

Mar 31, 2005
Portland, OR
How far have I gotten on mine? I did the final test fit finally - last year or so. I just need to button things up and mount the damn things.

So many things taking priority for me right now. I haven't even driven the Supra since Oct 2005 - if you don't count starting it last year and moving it 10 feet under its own power.