Hella 90mm Headlight Setup

rodel

SoCal
May 19, 2005
SoCal
Over the past several years, I've seen several threads discussing a quad round headlight setup and I've had many people ask me about mine. If there is enough interest, I'll consider having a Hella 90mm headlight bezel-mount setup massed produced. This bezel-mount will probably be made up of carbon fiber and steel bracketry.

To answer the first foreseeable question: Where are the pics?
Answer: I don't have pics of the bezel because it hasn't been made. All I have is the jig of the mount that is on my car.

The most important question of all: how much?
Answer: I already foresee people saying, "depending on the price, I'm in." The bezel-mount themselves, will not be cheap, but not "very" expensive. Please don't ask for a ballpark cost at this time because I don't have one. Bear these things in mind, below, when figuring the cost of this conversion:

*Hella 90mm headlights
*optional HID system. Halogen bulbs could be used.
*Installation and electrical work expense (if you're not doing your own labor), e.g., wiring the lights, modifying the headlight assembly in preparation of installing the lights, necessary adjustments to headlight assembly arms, etc..
*Lastly, I use the "Pivot" headlight controller with my setup to control the downward movement of the headlights when turned off. The "Pivot" is optional, depending on how you'll design the upward and downward movement process of the headlights.

Keeping these things in mind, altogether, this conversion will cost hundreds of dollars. If this project goes through, what I'll offer is the bezel-mount and basic setup writeup. Electrical work...you're on your own. This conversion may seem complex to some of you, but once you have all the parts, the process is actually very simple. If there are many interested buyers to make a group buy feasible, I'll have a complete product and manufacturing process built, then we'll go from there.

p1357883_1.jpg

p1357883_2.jpg

A horrible pic of the output and cutoff line :cry:
2088365040047555153S200x200Q85.jpg

Last edited:

rodel

SoCal
May 19, 2005
SoCal
Steve_N;1357952 said:
Will these be HID Projector D2s E-Code housings? I ask because they do make standard Halogen projector housings as well. If so I'm in for this unique setup.

It will be up to you to buy the headlights. What I'll be supplying is the bezel-mount.

rodel

SoCal
May 19, 2005
SoCal
sethron71;1357964 said:
Is it going to be a complete kit with arms to give the sleeper look and control the height of the headlights?

Seth

To accomplish the partial rise of the headlight, there's actually no need to either cut/weld or replace any arms. I didn't have to with my setup. The arm on the stock headlight assembly just needs to be adjusted and the arm on the motor needs to be repositioned.

I use the "Pivot" headlight controller to control the downward movement of the headlight when turned off, so that it stops at the normal position. Otherwise, if the "Pivot" is not used, that's when the cut/weld/modification of the headlight and motor arms will be required. (Tekdeus has a writeup on this modification topic). If I had to provide modified arms, the cost of this project may be too much for people to buy.

Last edited:

sethron71

Authorized Vendor
Jul 19, 2005
Las Vegas, NV
www.SethIngham.com
rodel;1357971 said:
To accomplish the partial rise of the headlight, there's actually no need to either cut/weld or replace any arms. I didn't have to with my setup. The arm on the stock headlight assembly just needs to be adjusted and the arm on the motor needs to be repositioned.

I use the "Pivot" headlight controller to control the downward movement of the headlight when turned off, so that it stops at the normal position. Otherwise, if the "Pivot" is not used, that's when the cut/weld/modification of the headlight and motor arms will be required. (Tekdeus has a writeup on this modification topic). If I had to provide modified arms, the cost of this project may be too much for people to buy.

I completely understand that but also you have to look at the fact that if people want the proper look and function they are going to have to spend the money to do it anyways, maybe just offer it as an option, really shouldn't cost much at all to have some new arms turned on a CNC lathe.. Just a thought tho.

Seth

Neodeuccio

Addicted to boost...
Sep 30, 2006
Schenectady NY
I'd love to say I'm in, but I have to ask about a time-frame first. Right now I'm paying off some big bills, so I'm broke as hell. In another 6 months or so though, they'll all be paid off, so it will be a different story. Any ideas on when you'd need the money?

rodel

SoCal
May 19, 2005
SoCal
sethron71;1358296 said:
I completely understand that but also you have to look at the fact that if people want the proper look and function they are going to have to spend the money to do it anyways, maybe just offer it as an option, really shouldn't cost much at all to have some new arms turned on a CNC lathe.. Just a thought tho.

Seth

Good suggestion. I'll keep it in mind.

Neodeuccio;1358306 said:
Any ideas on when you'd need the money?
No estimate on a timeline yet. First, I need to know if this project will be feasible to put in the research, development, time, and money. I'm estimating that I'd like a minimum of 20 buyers for this group buy.

mattsplat72

is sofa king
Jan 17, 2006
Sedro Woolley, Washington, United States
So if I am understanding this right.

You will supply.
1 Complete housings capable of using HID or halogen light that I purchase.
2 The basic wiring set up minus balllast's and the like.

I need to have
1 Lights of my choice with assoc. wiring
2 Pivot controller to adjust height from in car unless I want to control from under hood.

And you also stated that the Covers surronding bezel might be carbon fiber? If I didnt want CF would there be an option for FG?

Would there be any cutting/hacking of the car ( ala Honestabe's flushmounts)?
Would they be reversable?
Can we have some clearer pictures of lights on your car and maybe some pics of the set up off of car?

mattsplat72

is sofa king
Jan 17, 2006
Sedro Woolley, Washington, United States
Really how so?
Bigger lights or a larger unused face?
It appears from the pictures that the lights themselves are smaller than the stock square lights and have a lower profile as well which is why the use of a controller would be needed to bring the overall housing down to match the lower headlight profile.

So please explain