Helicoil stripped exhaust studs?

indy_mk3

boost-creep
Oct 15, 2007
kelowna
ok so i did a motor swap in the summer and when it came to the exhuast manifold bolts 2 off them were different bolts and it held so i didnt care about it.....which was stupid :3d_frown:......anyways i blew my ct26 so i sent a core ct26 to driftmotion to get rebuilt into a .57 trim which is now back and looks awsome, so i went to put on the manifold and realized that the bolt holes are stripped in the head :( some people said just heli coil it but i did a bit of research on the forum and found that the 7/16 studs are the best way to do it so here is my problem- i have 7 7/16 studs and a tap and everything i just dont have a angle drill so im planning on renting a angle drill and tapping out the holes then putting in the studs but the only thing is ive never tapped out anything before so what i need help with is how to do it?? do i just drill it out the tap it then throw in the studs??? or should i helicoil it with a 7/16 helicoil also??? also there are only 2 stripped holes on the top in the middle of the manifold and i wanna put it on like that but im guessing it will be stupid to do that so please help me out cause i know most of you guys know what your talking about and have probably had this awsome problem! :)

slidebabyslide

Starting FRESH !!!!
Dec 17, 2006
salinas,california
Just go with the 7/16 studs.(Just my .02 cents)
http://store.driftmotion.com/Static/Item716exhauststudkit.php

Check that out. All you need is in that kit>. You can get the angle adapter almost any store for cheap. you can write to driftmotion and ask him if he can include one in the kit for a little bit more cash.
You drill the holes<(make sure you drill them straight)
then you re thread it.
you insert the coil and break the little thingy in it(it looks like a tail)
Then you install the stud and thats all.
supper easy.
You might as well insert coils to all your exhaust stud's.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
A bigger stud is a better choice, any way you look at it. A helicoil is not the best method of repair. But that isn't to say it won't work, because it will.

indy_mk3

boost-creep
Oct 15, 2007
kelowna
ya but i was thinking that i should tap it to 7/16 which is a bigger size stud then helicoil it as well before i insert the new studs

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
A lot of the time exhaust studs stip is from the head being annealed on the hot side, fitting larger studs is a temp fix in this case.

Personally I'd go for the helicoils.

Kckazdude

Mar 16, 2007
Memphis, TN
I am helicoiling mine before they anneal and rip the threads out. I am also using the factory size thread instead of the bigger 7/16. Not sure how I got lucky enough to find a head with ex studs in great shape.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
I tested 5 heads before giving up and buying a new casting from Toyota....

It was going to cost me more to have one stripped reheat treated and reassembled as ALL of the steel parts had to be removed.

One of mine was so bad I ended up doing this to find out where the water was before having the new one ported>