Helicoil, in car

billspreston01

Jun 2, 2005
North Carolina
well...looks like I'm shopping for a helicoil kit today. I got everything off and I didn't find any cracks anwhere and any gaskets or turbo or exaust manifold. So I figured I'd just throw it all back together carefully and make sure everything is right using exaust manifold gasket spray on crap to seal everything. When putting the head back on I found that the second bolt from the back was stripped out. I don't know how big of a problem that would be, probably was my problem in the first place although the gasket didn't show any signs of leaks there. It only took me about 2 hours to get the turbo and manifold off...is that good :) haha. And that was with a dinner break and a LOT of smoke breaks and time off to curse at the car :aigo: :biglaugh:

edit: oh yeah, I also forgot to mention apparently the far back hole was stipped prior to the head being rebuilt. So now that far back hole has a 16mm BOLT in it. He probably had to tap it to a larger hole since the threads were gone. Any suggestions on what to do there would be great, but I'm going shopping now to get the kit, I'm hoping the 16mm bolt isn't to big to retap again for the helicoil to go in. Help...please! :)

thanx again guys
-bill

isnms

United States of America
Mar 30, 2005
Oklahoma
i80.photobucket.com
That's pretty good time.
You're lucky it's just one and that one is probably one of the easiest to get to. You may be lucky again, and get away with just doing that one. But who knows, when putting things back together again, torquing down - 22 ft/lb btw - you find another stripped bolt. May want to consider doing all seven.

Dang, that's big. He may have skewered you there ;) Does it tighten down ok with that bolt in? If so, probably best bet is to stay with that.

billspreston01

Jun 2, 2005
North Carolina
I am going to do all 7, the one stripped is the second from the back so it won't be AS hard, but I'm still gonna try to do all of them. It tightens down good but I don't know how good, and I don't know if the bolt is too long and hitting the back of the hole or what so I'm gonna have to measure it. I got the kit...the only place that had it was napa for $60 which sux. Plus I realized that I don't know where our right angle drill is at so I'm gonna have to find it (I haven't seen it in over a year). I already called everybody I can think of that might have one, and they either don't answer or don't have it.

isnms

United States of America
Mar 30, 2005
Oklahoma
i80.photobucket.com
Find out exactly what thread and pitch the hole in back is currently.
Then consider this:
The tap in the M10 kit is a 12mmX1.25 thread pitch, at least that's the bolt it screws into. This allows you to put the insert in capable of taking the 10mm 1.25thread studbolt.

Your rear hole may already be threaded for 12mm since you have to use a 16mm socket to get the bolt out. If so you'll just have to install the insert. Confirm the thread pitch, 1.25.

billspreston01

Jun 2, 2005
North Carolina
the hole in back was small enough for me to drill and re-tap for the helicoil. Then I ran into the problem of 'oh shit...I only have 6 studs' which really sucked. I managed to dig up 3 more from my old head (took about an hour to find) and 2 were stripped really bad where the nut goes on, but 1 was still good so...looks like I'm ready to re-assemble. Oh fun!

p.s. if anybody wants to buy my used helicoil kit (should still have 4 of the inserts when I'm done) with the insert tool, tap, and my special shorty drill bit (yes, I cut it myself, and it cuts really good :)) I might be up for selling it to get some of my money back!

billspreston01

Jun 2, 2005
North Carolina
so, I went to put the helicoils in my car, and on the FIRST ONE the damn little plastic tool broke 2 teeth off. What a piece of shit. So...I custom ground a bolt to do it with the same threads. I got 3 in that way, and then all of a sudden one catches, and tears the threads off my bolt...at this point I'm really really pissed. So I grind another bolt and try to put another one in... BAM...I stripped the threads in the other stupid plastic tool. WHAT THE FUCK! has nobody ever heard of using metal? I managed to get one more in just using the bolt but I'm out of the fucking inserts and I'm really really really pissed at NAPA for the POS tool. Anybody else ever had this experience???

DrakeMK3

"The Duck"
Mar 30, 2005
Knoxville, TN
I had a little trouble getting mine to go in at first, but out of the 12 coils I had to play with, I got the last hole filled with the last coil. It was tense, but what I did was just drill, tap, vacuum, lube with WD-40, re-tap, vacuum, and lube again. This ensured I made it as easy as possible to get those little coils in. I'm very happy I decided to do this while I had the head off the block. :)

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
DrakeMK3 said:
I had a little trouble getting mine to go in at first, but out of the 12 coils I had to play with, I got the last hole filled with the last coil. It was tense, but what I did was just drill, tap, vacuum, lube with WD-40, re-tap, vacuum, and lube again. This ensured I made it as easy as possible to get those little coils in. I'm very happy I decided to do this while I had the head off the block. :)

Drake, where have you been? :icon_bigg I thought you sold your MKIII a while ago?