Heavy smoke till warm up

randym456

May 21, 2007
Charleston, SC
New to the site, but appreciate all the great tech tips. Need help. 1991 Turbo. When I start the car, I get a steady plum of white smoke. Smells like shellac. When car warms up, smoke disappears, no smell. No codes. No check engine light. Don't drive it that much, but I try to start it regularly, or drive it to work every week or two (an hour each way). After the smoke clears, it runs fairly well. Plenty of power. I'm a pretty good mechanic 'till it gets to sensors and problems like this. Give me a place to start. Have shop manual and all the basic tools and testors. I'm a wholesale parts manager for a Mazda dealership. Is my Supra trying to get back at me? Should I park the Miata and the RX-7 on the other side of the yard? I greatly appreciate any input.

F_T_F

C2H5OH
Nov 12, 2006
fort fun, colorado
randym456 said:
New to the site, but appreciate all the great tech tips. Need help. 1991 Turbo. When I start the car, I get a steady plum of white smoke. Smells like shellac. When car warms up, smoke disappears, no smell. No codes. No check engine light. Don't drive it that much, but I try to start it regularly, or drive it to work every week or two (an hour each way). After the smoke clears, it runs fairly well. Plenty of power. I'm a pretty good mechanic 'till it gets to sensors and problems like this. Give me a place to start. Have shop manual and all the basic tools and testors. I'm a wholesale parts manager for a Mazda dealership. Is my Supra trying to get back at me? Should I park the Miata and the RX-7 on the other side of the yard? I greatly appreciate any input.
Sensor problem? white smoke at start up. oh my firend it sounds like a BGH to me enjoy

antman

Supramania Contributor
Apr 6, 2005
TN
Damn wagon. There is always someone on it.

Do a compression test and check the coolent for exhaust gas. Does it not stop until fully warm or does it just have to run for a bit? How many miles are on her?

88YotaTurbo

Feb 26, 2006
Wolcott, Ct.
BlackMKIII said:
Take off the radiator cap (while cold) and check for HCs at the filler neck as vehicle warms up. HCs in coolant = Blown head gasket. Common problem for the 7M-GTE
assuming you have a block test kit with fluid. Try checking oil color and coolant color. oil would be gray milky color and coolant same or dark brown sludge. This would be caused by the mixing of fluid internally aka BHG. I'm thinking along the lines of a bad sensor or plugged cat.

kyle1jzsupra

Sep 17, 2007
fort worth
i had that same problem a long time ago exact same it just got worse and worse then after a while it just poured smoke out while driving ......and i pulled the engine and i had a lil pond of chocolate milk(water n oil mixed) in the back of my head where the lil spark plug valley is so my best guess is bhg

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
^ And that wasn't from leaking valve covers and a leaking heater core hose? You aren't going to get external milkshake from a BHG...

Mr. Y

Mar 31, 2005
80 miles away from Kremlin
I'm in the same boat. Lots of smoke on startup but nothing after warm up. Oil is clean (no milkshake). Compression is good. No bubbles in radiator. Coolant doesn't disappear... Valve seals have been replaced about 5K miles ago...
Anyways, I don't care =)

randym456

May 21, 2007
Charleston, SC
BlackMKIII said:
Take off the radiator cap (while cold) and check for HCs at the filler neck as vehicle warms up. HCs in coolant = Blown head gasket. Common problem for the 7M-GTE[/QUOTE

Thanks to all for the input. Guess I was hoping it wasn't a head gasket. I put a new H/G on about 4 years ago and replaced what ever was needed. Really, I guess it's not so bad, it's about time for repalcement of a few of those hoses, under the intake that no human can reach. New vacume lines wouldn't hurt either. A little paint and degreaser could help.

Any suggestions on a bullit proof head gasket, or other suggestions while the tops off? How about the turbo while it's off? The weather in SC is getting about perfect for a little out door work. Thanks again for the input.

Freshmaker

Feb 3, 2007
Oconomowoc, Wi
Metal headgasket for sure, cosmetic seems to be a good choice. Some tips: Don't order your MGH until you get the head machined and know the amount of material removed. Check the block for flatness. Don't use the copper sealant stuff unless your re-using a HG (but your not gonna do that right?). And like your said, replace stuff as you see fit.

crrider80

Too soon Jr.
Jun 3, 2006
NYC
BlackMKIII said:
Take off the radiator cap (while cold) and check for HCs at the filler neck as vehicle warms up. HCs in coolant = Blown head gasket. Common problem for the 7M-GTE

what are HC's?
-Steve