Heater Union Socket Size

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
LOL...it's the only clamp that I could get to fit on the damn HCV that looked like it belonged!

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
When you squeeze Dub you get ;)

WOKKA-SAKI-BOTTLE.jpeg

loc182

Jul 3, 2013
Grove City, Ohio
I just got these parts in the mail today and found this thread searching for the size of that monster union bolt.

Just wondering a couple things:

Am I crazy to even consider trying to replace this union pipe and union bolt with the engine in the car?

Is there anything that can be done to the new union bolt to keep it from rusting? (MA717MGTE mentioned anti-seize, is that safe in this location?)

Thanks!

loc182

Jul 3, 2013
Grove City, Ohio
Sounds good, after reading this thread I don't want to go back there at all. Just replacing the hoses there is painful enough...

Is there a good way to confirm whether this union is leaking or not outside of visual inspection? I have a small leak somewhere in the cooling system that I want to get sorted once and for all.

tdream

Sep 26, 2016
Mesa AZ.
I just got a new union from the dealer. Previous owner installed a different union. Looks like one from my 5m. It's straight and no elbow. The problem is the threads n the old one are 2mm pitch and I believe the stock one that ghouls be in there is 22-1.5 pitch. Does anyone know the thread size? Anyway I need to tap it but finding a size that big is difficult.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk