heater problem

rsaeini

padawan
Oct 30, 2006
SoCal
the heater is not blowing hot air. at first i thought this was due to a vacuum problem i had but after i got the vac fixed it's still not working.

my guess is the actuator at the firewall is not opening up because i unplugged the vac hose on top of it and nothing...no vacuum.
the i let the car run for a little while so it was up to operating temprature and felt the 2 heater hoses at the firewall. the hose going through the firewall (heater hose 1) is as cold as they come. the other hose (heater hose 2) that comes up from the back of the engine bay is slightly warm but definately not hot.

sorry i'm not th best at describing stuff so bear with me.
also, there is a device next to the actuator that has a vac line running into the actuator from the firewall. can that be the reason it's not working?
i pointed to the device in the pic below.

thanks
ray

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Last edited:

plaaya69

87T Supra
Nov 18, 2006
Lake County, IL
If I were you I would bypass heater vsv(or what you call the device). Take the vacuum hose that runs from the firewall and disconnect it from the vsv. Then once you have done that then disconnect the vacuum hose from the top of the actuator. After you have both vacuum hoses disconnected then you connect the vacumm hose that runs from the firewall to the actuator. If this works for you(which it should) you will not need to use the vsv anymore. I had to do this to both of my supras so my heat would work also. Hope this helps you out.

jamesdem1123

Mar 2, 2006
Palm Harbor
yea i have the same problem, its the solenoid (vsv). most likely u will have to get this part from the dealer, i went to advance auto parts and they couldnt find anything like it, even looked for a valve for different cars and the guy couldnt find it. or go to a junk yard.

rsaeini

padawan
Oct 30, 2006
SoCal
thank you all. i didn't even think about trying that.
i'll try that tomorrow while i'm working on the car.

it's ok to run it without the VSV ??

jamesdem1123

Mar 2, 2006
Palm Harbor
should be fine, your a/c may blow hot (not entirely sure if air flows through heater core when only a/c is on) air but winter is coming so you'll have your heater on anyways.

mrnickleye

Love My Daily Driver !
Jun 8, 2005
Mojave Desert, Ca
Ok....this is all fact !

Just hook the vacuum hose straight to the heater water valve to get hot water to the core. If the valve does not work with vacuum, you will need a new valve, or just by-pass it with a hose splice connector.

The valve is normally ONLY closed (no water flowing) when the A/C temp setting is at 65* (not 66*, not 67*, etc). :biglaugh:

For summer, when I NEVER use the heater, I unplug the valve and stick a golf tee into the vacuum hose. I live in the desert. If the temp in your area does not get over 80-90* in summer, you can leave the valve hooked up all year, and never tell the difference with the A/C on.