Heater core crack opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.

swaq

posts++;
May 24, 2005
Oregon -> Arizona
www.SwaqValley.com
I am in the process of installing a new heater core (see this thread). I test flowed the new heater core with some water and it didn't leak. However, after putting it into the box I noticed a small crack (see attached pictures) where one of the pipes is connected (welded?) to the core. I don't know if this was there before I installed it, or if it occurred during installation. I'm worried that under pressure this joint will leak. Should I try and return this heater core for a replacement?

Attachments

• new_heater_core.jpg
    new_heater_core.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 35
  • crack_zoom.jpg
    crack_zoom.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 46

rayall01

Oct 10, 2008
Westfield, ma
swaq;1344274 said:
I don't have soldering tools, though I could probably find someone who does... I think I'd feel better about replacing it than trying to resolder it though.

Cmon, just get a propane torch, and a roll of solder. It'll take about five minutes to do. Get some balls, man!:biglaugh:

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
rayall01;1345548 said:
It can't be much different than sweating pipes, IJ. Lets get a grip here.

I think you should let go of your grip...

Enough's enough you have NFI what his skill level is and a heater core is so easily fucked if you apply heat for too long or in the wrong place.

I know you're only trying to help but you're fast becomming a total knob knock it off.

rayall01

Oct 10, 2008
Westfield, ma
IJ.;1345772 said:
I think you should let go of your grip...

Enough's enough you have NFI what his skill level is and a heater core is so easily fucked if you apply heat for too long or in the wrong place.

I know you're only trying to help but you're fast becomming a total knob knock it off.

True, I don't know his skill level, but if he's putting the core in himself, he's got to have some abilities. That said, if he can send it to me, I will fix it and put it in my car. At least then we'll see if I know what I can do.

swaq

posts++;
May 24, 2005
Oregon -> Arizona
www.SwaqValley.com
I've never soldered or welded anything in my life. I know someone who could do it for me, but I'd rather not run the risk of the resoldered joint being weaker. Also, the heater core is being replaced free of charge.

Curt said he is sending me a return label with the new core, so I assume that means I'm supposed to mail back the cracked one.

Rayall01, is your heater core bad? As far as I can tell my old one doesn't leak (though I haven't tried flowing some water through it), it was leaking from the bent up connecting pipe in engine bay. I can send my old one for cost of shipping if you want, since you don't seem to mind if you have to tear apart your dash again.

rayall01

Oct 10, 2008
Westfield, ma
swaq;1346156 said:
I've never soldered or welded anything in my life. I know someone who could do it for me, but I'd rather not run the risk of the resoldered joint being weaker. Also, the heater core is being replaced free of charge.

Curt said he is sending me a return label with the new core, so I assume that means I'm supposed to mail back the cracked one.

Rayall01, is your heater core bad? As far as I can tell my old one doesn't leak (though I haven't tried flowing some water through it), it was leaking from the bent up connecting pipe in engine bay. I can send my old one for cost of shipping if you want, since you don't seem to mind if you have to tear apart your dash again.

Nah it's not bad, just old. I figured if you didn't have to send it back, I could get a chance to show off, that's all.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Cores are usually vacuum brazed. That said hand brazing takes more skill than soldering. And assuming it is soldered the solder typically used for sweating tubing won't do because coolant will eat it. Especially if it's Toyota OEM coolant. Based on all that he'd be smart to simply replace it...

rayall01

Oct 10, 2008
Westfield, ma
jetjock;1346216 said:
Cores are usually vacuum brazed. That said hand brazing takes more skill than soldering. And assuming it is soldered the solder typically used for sweating tubing won't do because coolant will eat it. Especially if it's Toyota OEM coolant. Based on all that he'd be smart to simply replace it...

Since he's already said he's got a replacement on the way, it seems a little superfluous to keep saying he should get a new one.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
rayall01;1346010 said:
True, I don't know his skill level, but if he's putting the core in himself, he's got to have some abilities. That said, if he can send it to me, I will fix it and put it in my car. At least then we'll see if I know what I can do.

When did this become about what you can do?

Turning a wrench in no way equates to being able to repair a heater core so your observation about his ability is flawed right off.

This is NOT going to turn into an argument or even a debate on what can and can't be repaired.

Status
Not open for further replies.