Headlights don't work, brights do?

turbo87targa

Nov 10, 2006
colorado springs
So my supra started throwing a wireing fit it seems. About 2 months ago I started my car late one night, after letting her warmup I went to backout and turned on the headlights, the lights popped up, my fogs came on but my headligts were so dim I couldn't see them over the fogs. The "brights" light was on which made me guess it was letting me know my lights were out? But my brights still worked...

So the next day I went to work and decided to run to the auto store after I got off to buy the new lights, well when I started the car the headlights worked. Bright as day.

About 3 weeks went by with the lights working just fine. Then one day about 2 weeks ago they just stopped working again, brights still work, even put in the new bulbs to make sure but i can't get them to light up without the Brights being on.

I've angled my lights down so I can drive with my brights on, but that's really made my visibility at night limited and that's no good. Especially when i try to use a signal to switch lanes and accidentally turn off my brights....

And all this happened without me touching a thing, I thought it coulda been the cold weather(dunno why I thought that but it seemed they only worked when it was warm) and 1 time (only once) they didn't work when I left home but after a 10 minute drive I checked them when I got home and they worked fine...

Really lost :help: pls

Canuckrz

Jan 13, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Similar thing happened a few months back. Turned out the previous owner replaced the pigtails and didnt solder the connection and wrapped it with electrical tape.

I'd pop off those headlight covers and check out the pigtails going to the lights to see if they need to be replaced or if theres some haphazard rewiring job done by someone in the past like mine.