Headlights come on when they shouldn't, and car won't start.

Aug 12, 2010
P.G. County, Maryland
My battery is dead, so i just went to jump my car and the headlights came on. the switch is turned off, but they're on anyways. Nothing inside my car works. no lights, no radio, nothing. I was installing IC piping and a new TPS sensor. Thats all i've had disconnected. Whats up?

gottadiesel

Flyin Low
Feb 16, 2009
Vancouver, Washington
Assuming all worked before battery died and those are the only 2 things you have done, the first thing I would do is, remove battery from car to fully charge (or at least disconnect + and - leads), then re-install and see what happens...

Aug 12, 2010
P.G. County, Maryland
Thats the only thing i haven't done yet. My battery is too dead to hold a charge. Afriend of mine suggested it might be my alaarm, so i toggled the driver side door lock on and off with my key a few times. All that disconnecting the battery would do is reset the ecu, right? the same thing that would happen if the battery was fully dead and the ECU didn't recieve power? anyways, i'll try that tommorrow. It's stressing me out, i can't see a noticable solution. :/

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
Yeah, get a good battery in there. Our cars will do some crazy things when the battery is low, including screw with the headlights.

iDriftYou

Oct 10, 2010
SoCal/805
My car did the same thing when I swapped the batteries out. You have the negative connected to the positive and the positive connected to the negative. I blew a 100AMP Alternator fuse when I did it, so make sure to check all fuses.

gottadiesel

Flyin Low
Feb 16, 2009
Vancouver, Washington
spikesnstuff0905;1637378 said:
My battery hasn't been removed, it's just dead. The leads are on correctly. I'm pretty sure that my donor car is hooked up right too, since the posi terminal is painted bright red...

Not sure if you have been able to get a fresh battery in yet, but I do know that electronics will do funny things when fed voltage well below its threshold of functioning... Similar to when you do not have a solid ground... Start with fresh battery or a fully charged one and see what happens...

Aug 12, 2010
P.G. County, Maryland
I haven't had a chance to get a new battery yet, so i'm not sure. All fuses and relays are still fresh, and i triple checked my grounds. The only thing that i noticed when checking the wires was this: there is a small wire that looks like it comes from the middle of my fuel rail (?) and i can't figure out where it goes. I'm pretty sure it isn't a sensor wire or anything, it looks like it was attatched to my valve cover somehow, there is a little spot of solder right near where my coil packs are bolted. WTH is it? :3d_frown:

D.J.T.

Aug 25, 2010
Arkansas, United States
spikesnstuff0905;1637411 said:
I haven't had a chance to get a new battery yet, so i'm not sure. All fuses and relays are still fresh, and i triple checked my grounds. The only thing that i noticed when checking the wires was this: there is a small wire that looks like it comes from the middle of my fuel rail (?) and i can't figure out where it goes. I'm pretty sure it isn't a sensor wire or anything, it looks like it was attatched to my valve cover somehow, there is a little spot of solder right near where my coil packs are bolted. WTH is it? :3d_frown:

That is ground from the Coil Pack Bracket to the Valve cover. Ill take some pictures soon & ill post them up. On my car i replaced that wire with another.

Edit:
Let me correct that. I have my Coil pack cover on so i can't really show you where its connected. BUT YES! its a ground wire from Coil pack bracket to valve cover. You can connect it from the bracket to ANYWHERE really. Just make sure theres a good ground connection.