headlight control wand

webbs7mgte

Jun 2, 2008
wisconsin
did the wands form a 87 and a 89 change at all cus i need a new one for my buddys 87 and found one of a 89. Mine jsut rolls and doesnt click. any imput is greatly appreciated

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
Depends. 89 stalks changed, and once again for 1990+

If you're going to change the whole thing, you need the proper year, if you're switching just the stalk, you can probably just wire it in without any problems as the functions are the same.

Guyana00

Droppin that JZ in soon!
Apr 18, 2007
Brampton, ON
They aren't interchangeable?

If I wanted to use an 89 style column switch on my 92 it wouldn't be plug and play? I'm asking because I have an 87, putting in an 89 steering wheel, and planning on replacing my body harness with a 92 body harness. I wanted to use the 89 style switch to match the wheel but from what you're telling me I'm going to have to use the 90+ style switch, correct?

Last edited:

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Wiring changed because of the cruise control IIRC.

Anyway, if it doesn't click, pull the end cap off the stalk (yes there is a cap in there), and tighten the screw.

webbs7mgte

Jun 2, 2008
wisconsin
ok cus when dirving his thign will roll down and his lights will go out so all i have ot do is take the cap off and tighten the screw

modmonster2008

mod crazy yo!
Sep 9, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.myspace.com
I want to switch my stalks to a 89 cuhz it looks better imo, are the stalks separatable(sp?) from each other so that i can just cut the wires off and solder them onto my stock ones therefore theres no more extra work required?

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
Poodles;1183850 said:

Anyway, if it doesn't click, pull the end cap off the stalk (yes there is a cap in there), and tighten the screw.

The wiring changed because of the airbag and the cruise control being moved to a seperate stalk.

Guyana00

Droppin that JZ in soon!
Apr 18, 2007
Brampton, ON
RazoE;1184163 said:
The wiring changed because of the airbag and the cruise control being moved to a seperate stalk.

So there's no way to use an 89 column switch on my 87?

In Canada the cruise control was moved to the stalk in 92. It moves to the stalk in 90 for the US models.

Would this mean I could use a Canadian 90/91 switch in my 89 since the cruise stalk wasn't added until 92? And if I'm using US column switches, then the only one that would be a compatible replacement would be from another 89? Btw, the 89 I have doesn't have airbags and the crusie control buttons are on the wheel.

champscl

Aug 23, 2008
North Carolina
Guyana00;1184416 said:
So there's no way to use an 89 column switch on my 87?

In Canada the cruise control was moved to the stalk in 92. It moves to the stalk in 90 for the US models.

Would this mean I could use a Canadian 90/91 switch in my 89 since the cruise stalk wasn't added until 92? And if I'm using US column switches, then the only one that would be a compatible replacement would be from another 89? Btw, the 89 I have doesn't have airbags and the crusie control buttons are on the wheel.

It is possible I did it last night. I switched my 89 column into my 88 and the switches worked fine. Everything plugged into the 89 from my 88 perfect. My 89 wasnt airbag equipped though.

Champ

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
It will fit and work, but the thing is you might loose cruise control, because the activation button's on the wheel instead of the panel on the left, but Champ says his worked, so you never know.

champscl

Aug 23, 2008
North Carolina
RazoE;1184453 said:
It will fit and work, but the thing is you might loose cruise control, because the activation button's on the wheel instead of the panel on the left, but Champ says his worked, so you never know.

Yeah the 89 has a 4 wireplug one ground(blue) 1 solid red(horn) 1 white w/black stripe(horn) and 1 green(cruise) on the 88 its a 3 wire plug theres a board I think that is attached to the underside of the horn button that is where the cruise is just splice or solder the wires into there and your fine. Oh by the way I did put back my 88 steering wheel its in better shape than the 89. That might be the reason why mine works.

Champ

champscl

Aug 23, 2008
North Carolina
modmonster2008;1184797 said:
hey champ, can you do a write up on this i wanna see how it works alltogether i wanna do this to my car

I guess I could just gotta get some time to take some pics plus Im in the middle of moving so be patient.

Champ

2_TonedMKIII

Rarety
Jul 28, 2006
Orlando, Fl
Poodles;1183850 said:

Can you please elaberate on this. Mine just rolls as well however I think it's broken. But I'll try to fix it before I go buying a new one.

Pictures would help too:icon_bigg

Appreciated!

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
The very end of the stalk has a cap inset into it, it's a complete bitch to get out without breaking it, let alone marking it up. Once it's off you can tighten the screw or take it out and try and fix the detent (click) mechanism...