headgasket sealing opinon

7mSuprapower89

BILIAFTC
Mar 30, 2005
tulsa, ok
ok, i am about to put my head back on my jdm motor. here's the deal, i have a jdm 7m with a new reman. cyl. head. the head looks freshly surfaced, but the block still looks a little dirty. when I run my fingers over the top of the block i cant feel any of the dark spots were the old gasket was.

i cleaned it off pretty good. now im going to be using a cometic mhg w/ copper spray and arp headstuds.i think it should be lapped even though the deck is not warped, but my dad is convinced it will seal. although he said he would buy me a new gasket if it fail to seal, i still dont want to do this more than once. any thoughts?

sorry for the massive pics i dont know how to resize.

MugenSeiki

Aug 17, 2005
Lapping the block is never a bad idea for the 7M, but its a lot of work, and may not be necessary. If your prepared to do, then do it.
And make sure EVERY component of your cooling system is A1.
What are you planning to torque the head down to?

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
as long as the block is true, and not pitted, go for it. use the copper spray, or permatex brake quiet to help it seal. (check the "shaeff's buildup (400whp)") thread for info on the permatex. thats about how my block looked when i slapped on my Cometic. (but i used the permatex). we'll see how it goes...

[**VERY IMPORTANT RANT!!!**] - make sure you put FIPG (form in place gasket, or equivalent RTV sealer) on the joining surfaces of the timing cover and block. if you dont, it'll leak oil out the front! also, MAKE SURE that your timing cover is perfectly flush with the block when you re-install it, because if it's a little higher, the headgasket wont seal because the head wont be touching it as much. [**/VERY IMPORTANT RANT**]

-shaeff

ddmcse

AmpHead
Aug 10, 2005
NE CT USA
www.ddmcse.com
it would be really nice to see the water side , down by number 6 . exact opposite of this block shot . if this is the worst spot of the block , i guess you'd be okay .

the timing plate issue is no bullshit and pitting is a big big no no with a metal gasket .

as for lapping the block , it is a shit pile of work , i've done it
lapping block while in car
i also hit the head with just a few passes after it came back from the shop .
check the water side

7mSuprapower89

BILIAFTC
Mar 30, 2005
tulsa, ok
well my dad brought home a precision straight edge, and checked the deck and i can't even fit a 2 thousandths feeler gauge under it, and its the smallest gauge i have, anybody know what the min warpage limit for a mhg is off the top of your head?

MugenSeiki

Aug 17, 2005
Sorry to get off topic but i have a question for ddmcse. I had a quik look at those links you posted, nice work. My question is you lapped your block and rebuilt in 2003, is everything sorted? Have you had anymore trouble with it since? And, how exactly did your first metal gasket blow? Was it pitting? Thanks. And sorry again for posting this Q here.

7mSuprapower89

BILIAFTC
Mar 30, 2005
tulsa, ok
thanks for pointing out the fipg on the timing plate i would have overlooked that for sure!!!

i just got my timing plate(s) back from the polisher and the dumbass polished the top of the mating surface of the block, just like i specifically asked him not to do.... not to sure if this would affect the sealing potential, I think it should line up once i get ready for final assembly. any thoughts?

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
one more suggestion for ya. i'd take those studs out, (especially if you have all of them in) because you have to remove them in order to get the washers on anyway. i put one in each end of the block, on opposite sides to allign the head properly when it was placed on the block, then took them out to put the washers in.

-shaeff

7mSuprapower89

BILIAFTC
Mar 30, 2005
tulsa, ok
awesome!!!!!!! i just have all the studs in there so I wont lose them or the headgasket. I have some permatex stuff but its called gasket maker or sealer or something like that but it is a copper spray.

7mSuprapower89

BILIAFTC
Mar 30, 2005
tulsa, ok
shaeff said:
just to clear some things up- here are the spots you need to put the FIPG on the block surface, where the timing cover meets the block.

http://www.cygnusx1.net/supra/library/TSRM/em/EM_55.html

-shaeff

ok one final question, do I smear the form in place gasket on top of the timing cover and the block or put in in the crack between? and is really hi-temp permatex ok? cause i dont have any toyota stuff.
thanks, brad.

Idealsupra

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Orlando
www.tampabaysupras.com
ok i know its bad but i didnt read much of the responses in this thread...i just have one thing to say:

THERE IS NO REASON WHATSOEVER TO HAVE COPPER SPRAY ANYWHERE NEAR A BRAND NEW MHG ESPECIALLY A COMETIC ONE.

and im done.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Idealsupra said:
ok i know its bad but i didnt read much of the responses in this thread...i just have one thing to say:

THERE IS NO REASON WHATSOEVER TO HAVE COPPER SPRAY ANYWHERE NEAR A BRAND NEW MHG ESPECIALLY A COMETIC ONE.

and im done.
Agreed. I don't like the copper spray at all.

As for the sealant, just put a dab on each location - not much at all.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
7mSuprapower89 said:
ok one final question, do I smear the form in place gasket on top of the timing cover and the block or put in in the crack between? and is really hi-temp permatex ok? cause i dont have any toyota stuff.
thanks, brad.

you smear it right on that crack where the timing cover meets the block. hi-temp permatex should be fine.

-shaeff